Chapter 12: Nightmares

My family and I were speeding down the highway at midnight, getting away from whatever was chasing us. It was raining harder than I thought was humanly possible. Nobody was on the road but us and the only noise was the thunder and lightning that we struck every few minutes. That, and the sound of Bells crying because we had to leave our dog at home. No one was telling me where we were going and why. I was confused and tired.  My dad slammed on the breaks and we slid a few feet because the roads were so slick.

"Oh my God!" my mom screamed in fear.

"She found us" my dad froze in his seat.

"What? What's going on?" I asked. I unbuckled and leaned forward to look out of the windshield.

"Oh my gosh!" I yelled. There was a girl standing in the middle of the road. Her red hair was soaking wet. I looked closer and gasped. She looked exactly like me. She was me.

She slowly walked forward, getting closer to us by the second. My mom was about to have a panic attack, my dad was still frozen in his seat, and Bells was crying even more.

"Dad, drive around her! Do something!" I shouted. Why wasn't he doing anything?

"You don't understand, Lena. She found you. We were trying to keep you safe," my mom said. By now, the girl was already right in front of the car.

Bells stopped crying and they all looked at me with a blank expression. It was like they were possessed.

"Goodbye, Lena," they all said in unison. I was pushed out of the car and waiting for me outside was the girl.

Now it was no longer raining and I was standing on a cliff with the girl. It was just us two now.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Take a guess," she asked. She sounded just like me and looked like she could be my twin. The only thing separating us was our clothes. I was wearing jeans and a sweater; she was wearing Hilton's school uniforms.

I guess I was taking a while because she looked at me and said, "Times up."

I was falling now. She pushed me off of the hill. I kept falling until all I saw was darkness.

I shot straight up. I was sweating and shaking and my back hurt. I wasn't in my room. I was lying on the hard ground in a dark, dusty room. Well, that explained why my back hurt like hell. That was a weird dream. She looked exactly like me. She even had the same vein that went under my eye. It was creepy. It was insane.

I didn't know where I was in the house. I looked around for a door and frowned when I couldn't find one. I was never good at hide and seek. I've read a lot of mystery novels and I Clue is one of my favorite movies, maybe there's a secret door? I looked round for a bookcase or a cupboard. There was a little shelf with trophies and knick-knacks. I pulled on the chess trophy. It did absolutely nothing. I went down the line, trying all of the trophies. They all did nothing.

Then I saw the picture frame on the end of the shelf. I turned it over and it looked exactly like a picture frame would, but I was still in the secret room surrounded by creepy class pictures from before I was born. I picked up the 'Class of '85' picture and I almost dropped it when I saw the familiar face in the third row of sophomores. She had blue-green eyes with a vein under the left one. She had red hair that was naturally wavy. She was me. She was the girl in my dream that pushed me off of the cliff. I looked at the name and turned pale. It was Sara Rollen. That was when I dropped the picture. She was related to me somehow. This was too weird.