And The Plot Thickens As They Say

Summary: The Sibuna crew investigates the gate house and Lilrome overhears some shocking information.

Evie's Notes: Happy Monday! I hope you all are having a wonderful week ! As always, thank you so much your support of this story, it really and truly means the world to me 💜! I hope that you all enjoy the this new update 🌺.

------------------------

It was decided that Nina, Alfie, Fabian and Amber would be the ones to cut class and search the gatehouse for any possible artifacts. When the others made to argue, Nina just shut them all down with a golden glare and told them to go to class, they quickly obeyed.

The four Sibunas held their breath as Nina punched in the code, hoping it worked and not really having a plan B if it didn't... though that was usual for them. The group let out a collective sigh of relief when no alarms seemed to be triggered and no lights started flashing. Instead the lock quietly clicked, allowing Nina to push open the door and lead the others inside.

"WOW!" commented Nina taking in the stately decor as the group made their way upstairs. "Honestly this isn't helping my theory that all Brits live in old people houses"

"This place certainly is spooky" agreed Fabian, eyeing some pickled herbs and body parts in jars displayed on a hutch.

"She certainly has NO eye for decor" huffed Amber disappointedly, eyeing the tacky wallpaper and artwork with disdain.

"Yo! Is that an actual organ?" asked Alfie, momentarily distracted from his fireplace search by the giant instrument. "It looks like the one you would find in a haunted house or the boss level of a video game!"

"Well you got the haunted part right" commented Nina, as she idly examined the portraits hanging on the wall. She recognized one of the men as a Russell Frobisher from the deep dive she and Fabian had done into her family tree over the summer.

The room was littered with interesting objects from books, to statues, phonographs to jars of preserved creatures. It was both freakishly spooky and boundlessly exciting. Nina longed to shove these items in her bag and bring them back home with her... but she kept her hands to herself for now, they had a mission to complete. Anyways now that they knew the door code they could return at any time and investigate what secrets lay in this new location, they were her birthright afterall.

"I guess we best get started then" declared Nina, gesturing to the fireplace "Alfie and Fabian see if you can spot anything".

Amber, whose feet were hurting in her heels, decided to lean back against the organ to try and relax. Unfortunately the instrument was on and a loud clang echoed throughout the building from where she had sat back against the keys.

"Amber!" shouted Nina and Fabian

"Sorry!" apologized the girl, who had jumped up in fright and backed up against the wall. Only the wall wasn't as solid as she thought and it swung open at her touch.

"Uhh guys... I think I found something"

"It's a hallway behind an organ with another door inside it. That's basically our calling card" grinned Alfie

Brushing the soot off his hands and moving as if to join the girls.

"No, Alfie, you stay with Fabian. Amber and I will go investigate whatever 'this' is" decided Nina. "Call if you need help"

The boys nodded and headed back to work investigating the mantle piece for cracks or secret hiding places.

"I'm not seeing anything on the outside, one of us is going to have to go up it" declared Fabian.