Short Story - The Fear of Shots

The woman in the long, white coat walked out of the room, writing something on her clipboard as the door shut slowly. The room was dead silent until the door clicked loudly as it finally shut, leaving me in the room all alone. I was trembling as I swayed my feet back in forth on the clinic bed, the white paper covering it. I was getting my annual physical I had to get once a year, but every time I come here, I end up getting some type of shot. Now, I was getting three. I held my head in my hands and let the tears roll from my face; I absolutely hated, and cannot stand, shots. I dreaded them, and would cry every time I needed one. Feeling  the pain of the long, silver needles being injected into my skin… the thought made me cry more.

 The doctor came back in with the three needles, and I scooted back on the bed and brought my legs up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. She gave me a look of sympathy, but that didn't stop her from wiping the needles, letting the silver point shine in the light. I squealed in terror and hugged myself even tighter.

 "Oh relax, they're not that bad." She assured me, but I shook my head as my eyes were locked on the second needle. "It'll be done in two seconds."

 "It's going to hurt." I stated, my past experiences of shots through the years suddenly playing in my head.

 "For a couple seconds." She replied, finishing off the third needle and approaching me. "Come on, let's get this over with."

 She forced me to sit normally as the needles edged closer, and one after another, they were injected into me, the distinct sharp pain raging up my arms with every needle. I squealed at them, but let out a sigh of relief after it was done, and I didn't have to go back for another year…