Like Father, Like Son

"Grandma is gonna rip you a new one. You know that right?" Jonas, the youngest Emerson brother, quipped from the backseat of Gareth's Stationwagon. The '83 Caprice rattled like a jar of pennies as they made their way up the road towards their house.

     Gareth grit his teeth a bit, adjusting his position in his seat to hide his nerves before he spoke "Oh yea? How about you not showing up at all? You think she's gonna let that one slide?"He glanced in his mirror for a moment "Can't heal if you don't even show up"

     Jonas huffed as he leaned his head back and propped his shoes up on the front center console "Well, unlike you guys,  I don't need therapy. I'm way more well adjusted to the world despite it all."

      Graham let out a laugh and turned to look at his younger brother before roughly elbowing his feet off the console "Really? How's that new girlfriend treating you?" He looked at Gareth with a coy smirk "What does she look like again, G?"

     Gareth's seemingly permanent scowl turned into a large grin. Fucking with Jonas was their favorite game "Oh yea! Isn't she blonde?"

     "Blue eyes." Graham continued on for his twin, basking in the torment of their little brother. "18. Built like a hot mom."

      "How old are you again Jonas? 12?" Gareth asked with a laugh "I dunno. It's looking like mommy issues across the board, bud"

     Jonas sat forward in frustration, now in complete defense mode "I'm 15, and she's 17! She just graduated a year early because she's way smarter than you numb skulls!" He spat at his brothers "And she hangs out with me because I'm smart"

     Graham was laughing harder now, finding Jonas's frustration quite amusing "Oh yea. It's definitely not because you blow your entire allowance on her every week" he spoke with heavy sarcasm.

     Jonas sat back, crossing his arms angrily "Whatever. At least I don't sleep with an ugly little gay stuffed bear. Or dudes." 

     Gareth hit the brake hard as he pulled into the driveway, causing Jonas, who was not properly buckled, to immediately fly forward into the center console. "We're home." Gareth said, turning off the car and stepping out. He could see how the comment clearly bothered Graham, but that his twin quickly shook it off.

     Graham got out and walked around the car, sighing "He's such a fucking idiot." he said as he watched Jonas slowly sat up in pain. He watched as Jonas weakly exited the back of the car before turning back to Gareth. "You ready to deal with her?" He asked.

    Gareth reached in the front pocket of his battle vest,  pulling out his pack of menthol cigarettes and putting one between his lips "Fuck no. I'm gonna sit out here and smoke. I don't wanna deal with that shit again." He grabbed his lighter from his jeans and lit one of them "I told her I didn't want to do stupid counseling, so it's not my fault."

     Graham rolled his eyes "You really don't get the bigger picture do you? If you just talked to Ms. Kelly-"

     "I fucking talked today didn't I?" Gareth shot a glare at his brother "Poured my whole heart and fucking soul out today. What else does she want?"

     There was a tense silence between the two as Jonas walked past them, limping slightly and entered the house, which was immediately followed by the voice of their grandmother berating him with questions.

     Graham ran a hand through his hair in frustration, turning his attention back to Gareth "Why do you have to be so fucking frustrating! It won't kill you to just talk about what happened. To talk about Dale, and Grandpa, and Mom."