|| CHAPTER SEVEN ||

REVELATION
════ ⋆★⋆ ════

WHEN SUNG-BIN'S fight took to the arena, Haneul found herself torn between two compelling yet conflicting urges. One part of her longed to fix her gaze upon his impressive physique and the thrilling showdown he was putting on.

The other part fought against it, knowing that allowing her feelings to surface was a dangerous game she couldn't afford to play, considering he had just awkwardly rejected her, why should she eg her emotions on? As the minutes ticked away, Haneul...

The other part fought against it, knowing that allowing her feelings to surface was a dangerous game she couldn't afford to play, considering he had just awkwardly rejected her, why should she eg her emotions on? As the minutes ticked away, Haneul's presence seemed to evaporate, leaving spectators in search of her, only to find themselves met with shrugged shoulders and a lack of answers. She had completely vanished from the scene, a mystery amid the excitement down below.

Haneul was soon located by staff members to be in the break room where staff had worked hard transforming it into a haven for contestants to indulge in a late lunch/early dinner, tempting Haneul with mountains of food that were off-limits to her due to her strict diet but she ignored food earlier today and so longed for some flavour. Her emotions were a whirlwind of confusion, her inner turmoil tearing her apart. She was sick and tired of depriving herself, always feeling hungry, and denying herself the simple pleasure of savouring a delicious meal. All she craved in that moment was to bury her face in a towering stack of pancakes adorned with whipped cream, allowing the sweet and satisfying comfort of food to wash over her. However, her rebellious act was not without a touch of sorrow, as her tears flowed alongside her indulgence, landing on her pancakes like drops of saltwater.

As she continued to eat, letting herself savour each bite, a staff member entered the room, concern etched across her face as she witnessed Haneul's clandestine feast something unusual for the contestant. It became evident that Haneul's emotional struggles were reaching a critical point, prompting the staff member to bring in the show's counsellor. As much as she denied it. it was time for Haneul to confront the emotional turmoil and the deeply ingrained eating disorder that had been overshadowing her life, threatening not only her physical well-being but also her Olympic aspirations and mental health.

When Sung-Bin emerged victorious on the balcony he was hoping to speak to Haneul to explain himself but found that she was gone. He walked over to her friends and questioned them, but their faces were etched with concern when they didn't know either. The next fight was her idol and she would never miss that so where was she?

Deciding enough was enough, he left the set to look for her.

The counsellor, a compassionate and understanding woman named Dr. Kim, sat down beside Haneul, offering a gentle smile that conveyed empathy. "Haneul, I can see that you're going through a difficult time," she began, her voice soothing and non-judgmental. "Would you like to talk about what's been bothering you?"

Haneul hesitated for a moment, her fork resting on the half-empty plate of pancakes. She felt a mix of embarrassment and relief, finally being given the chance to open up about her struggles. "I guess... I've been battling an eating disorder for a while now," she admitted, her voice quivering ever so slightly. "I'm an Olympic athlete, and the pressure to maintain a certain image and weight is just... overwhelming. I've been depriving myself of food, and it's affecting my performance and my emotional well-being."

Dr Kim nodded understandingly, her warm demeanour reassuring Haneul that she was in a safe space to share her feelings. "It's not uncommon for athletes to face these kinds of pressures," she said. "But it's essential to remember that your health, both physical and mental, should always be a priority."

As Haneul delved into her struggles, sharing her experiences and the emotional turmoil she had been through, unbeknownst to her, Sung-Bin returned to the break room, standing just out of sight, he overheard her confession and felt a surge of empathy for the woman he cared deeply for.

Listening to Haneul talk about her battles and her vulnerability, Sung-Bin's heart ached. He had known her for years, and while he had seen her determination and strength on the track, he had also witnessed the toll that her athletic career had taken on her. Hearing her struggles out in the open stirred a complex mix of emotions within him—concern, guilt, and a growing realization of his feelings that he too had tried to bury earlier that day. Thinking that his feelings may distract her from her path as an athlete, he never seemed to question what she wanted.

After pouring her heart out to Dr. Kim, Haneul finally felt a weight lifting off her chest. The counsellor's comforting words and advice had given her a glimmer of hope for recovery. She dabbed her eyes with a napkin, wiping away the remaining tears, and took a deep breath.

"Thank you," Haneul whispered, her voice filled with gratitude as she looked at Dr. Kim. "I needed this, more than I realized."

Dr. Kim smiled warmly. "Remember, Haneul, you have a support system here, and we'll work together to help you through this. Your health and well-being come first. I must now ask you, do you wish to continue with the competition?".

Competing Hearts || A Yun Sung-bin fanfictionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara