Chapter 2: Chocolate Chip Cookies

"Just look at those two... Having fun."

Zenitsu stared gloomily at the two people who sat a few desks behind from his own desk.

Muichiro and Nezuko were sharing a notebook, drawing and smiling together. They seemed to be enjoying their time, especially Nezuko, and it made Zenitsu feel nothing but jealousy towards that mint boy.

"Muichiro is so lucky to be seated next to Nezuko. What are the chances? Ugh, I'm so jealous."

"Oi, Zenitsu!"

Zenitsu felt a hard pat on his back as he heard those words. He didn't even bother turning around, already knowing full well that the person behind him was just Inosuke.

"Eh? Why aren't you saying?"

Inosuke walked around the desk to stand in front of Zenitsu, shoving his boar face into the yellow boy's face. "Why are you ignoring me? Do you want to fight? Is that it? Huh? Huh?"

"Hey, Inosuke, I think you should leave Zenitsu alone for now." Another voice entered the classroom.

Tanjiro approached his two best friends. "I don't think he's in the best mood right now.." He then slid into the desk next to Zenitsu, worry expressing his face. "Zenitsu, what's wrong?"

Zenitsu remained unresponsive, his attention only on Muichiro and Nezuko. Tanjiro followed his eyes, put two and two together... And oh, so that's it.

"He's really not taking this well, huh?"

"Ah, Zenitsu, you're worried about Nezuko, right?"

Zenitsu slowly turned his head towards Tanjiro. Tanjiro could see how sad he looked and he couldn't help but feel bad for his best friend, but it's not like Tanjiro could do anything about it. Nezuko was free to choose who she hung out with and he believes he shouldn't have to intervene just because Zenitsu was feeling a little jealous.

"Oh, Tanjiroooo!" Zenitsu cried. He shot up from his desk and rammed himself into Tanjiro's arms. "What am I doing wrong? Why do no girls want me? I feel like I just lost everything!"

Tanjiro tried his best to counsel him, rubbing and patting his back with soothing circular motions while Inosuke just laughed in the background. Tanjiro made a face at Inosuke, immediately causing him to shut up.

"How long has Nezuko even known that guy anyway?" Zenitsu asked with a sniff.

Tanjiro put a finger to his chin and thought for a moment. "Mmm.. I believe they met just about a week ago. I'm not really sure how, but Nezuko did go out for groceries and it could be possible she met Muichiro while out shopping."

His jaw dropped.

"They've only known each other for like 1 week and Muichiro has already earned himself Nezuko's very special 'You're a very close and important friend to me' pin!?"

He then stood up from Tanjiro's arms and huffed. It certainly seemed like Zenitsu had competition now. He has had his eyes on Nezuko for about 2 years, and he wasn't going to lose to some other guy who just so happened to walk into her life.

"Hey Tanjiro, Inosuke, do any of you guys know how to bake? I mean, I doubt Inosuke does but it doesn't hurt to ask."

Inosuke scoffed. "Hey! Do you really underestimate me that much!?"

"What? Out of all of the people in this school, you'd be the last person I'd ask about baking." Zenitsu snickered.

"You little-!"

"Okay, okay, don't get into a fight guys," Tanjiro interrupted with a small smile. "Zenitsu, I am actually quite familiar with baking. I'm not the best at it though, so I can't promise we could make something amazing, but if you need help I would be more than happy to assist you!"