Chapter One

"Hey! Are you okay?" A familiar voice asked. I opened my eyes. I saw Sam, but his blue eyes looked concerned and confused. His face held uncertainty. He doesn't recognize me. That hurt.

      His beard was short and brown. Although his hair was held back in his explorer hat, his hair always fell in his face a bit. He still gave off that warm feeling he always had when we were together. Except now, the warm feeling came with a lot of pain. I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry.

     "Dad," Cora says, running over here. "Is she okay? She fell from the sky!" 

     "What do you mean, fell from the sky?" I ask. He puts his hand on my forehead for a minute and takes it off. I wanted to ask him why he doesn't recognize me despite our history, but I couldn't come up with the words. Even if I knew what to say, I don't think I could take him thinking the fall messed me up.

     "We were coming back to our ship, and we saw you fall. Surprised you're not dead, that was a far drop." Sam explained. He got up and helped me stand. My long, curly red hair fell to the middle of my shoulder blades. I'm wearing blue ripped jeans, a black hoodie, and some black sneakers.

     "Dad! She looks familiar! It's kind of similar to the picture Jake showed us!" Cora said. He nodded and gestured me to follow him. I wrap my arms around myself and follow him. From what it looks like, we're in Akila. It's in the system, Cheyenne. Solomon Coe had founded this place and built it up. Sam is well respected here because of Solomon. We are in the Freestar Collective space. I got to the ship, and Cora ran inside. Sam stopped and faced me.

     "You never gave me your name." He states. It's hard not to cry at the sight of my best friend not recognizing me. Im so confused. I was sure I was going to die. How did I not die? If I did, is this my hell? What is going on?

     "Elizabeth, but I go by Ellie." I say. He nods.

     "I'm Sam, and the little girl is Cora." He says. He gestures to me to follow him again. I did, and we got onto his ship. Cora's on the communication spot and is already working on something. The space flight was quiet. We got to New Atlantis. The walk to the Lodge felt long and unfamiliar. I kept my distance, but still kept up with them. It's the same walk, but it feels completely different when no one recognizes you. Sarah met us outside the Lodge.

     "Sam! Your back!" Sarah excitedly says. She looks past them and sees me behind Sam. Her eyes widen, and she runs and hugs me.

     "You know her?" Sam asked?

     "You know me?" I also ask, looking confused. Sam gives me a confused look. I shrug and hug her back. She let us inside and told us to wait while she got food. Cora ran to the bookshelves I remember being thrown at, grabbed a few books, and started reading. Sarah came back with a few sandwiches and guided us into the indoor greenhouse. 

     "Jake should be here soon," She said, setting the plates and setting a sandwich on our plates. "You are kind of like Jake." He came and told us about Unity. The difference is that you didn't go through Unity, so there's no real explanation as to why you are alive and well." She explains. I rolled the sleeves of my hoodie up and started eating the sandwich. 

     Sarah kept explaining to Sam what Jake had told her. I just didn't want to be there, as they were just talking about me like I wasn't even there. I doubt if Sam wasn't sneaking looks at me. They wouldn't have noticed I walked off. From her explanation, Jake remembers me. That felt a little better. I kept a look around, but I couldn't find Lillian. I figured if things were different, then Lillians probably off somewhere. From the look Sam gave me when Sarah was done talking and had walked off, he looked as if he generally felt bad.