17: Intertwined Bloodlines

As her eyelids fluttered open, the warmth of the sunrays caressed her face. Tears welled up in her aching eyes at the memory of what had happened. It hadn't mattered that she had informed them of her visions. In the end, it changed nothing.

"You're one heavy sleeper," a familiar deep voice said.

She turned on her side and met Frederick's gaze. Her sorrow threatened to wrap around her and suffocate her. "Please tell me that last night was nothing but another nightmare."

He settled on the bed by her side and took her hand in his. "I'm so sorry, Ann." When she sat up and wept like never before, he wrapped his arms around her. She had no idea for how long she sobbed. Once she calmed down, she left the room and headed downstairs. For a moment, her legs wobbled, and she clung to the railing.

"Where are my siblings?"

"Out for runs still."

"And my mother?" When he didn't answer, the agonizing pain threatened to crush her heart. "Frederick, answer me."

"She's unstable. We had to lock her in a cell where her powers can be contained."

Annika headed toward the elevator at the end of the corridor that not only led to the clinic but also the cells where werewolves who broke the law were kept until they were transferred to the prison.

"Annika, stop!" Frederick slammed his hand on the button and the doors of the elevator closed. "She needs to calm down first before anyone sees her."

"I want to see her! Get out of my way!" She attempted to push him away, but he didn't budge. When he pulled her closer, she broke down again.

The pain she felt had to be ten times worse for her mother. She lost someone she considered a sister and now, her mate. If they didn't keep a close eye on her, the pain could consume her and destroy her.

"We need to find out who is behind this..." She took a deep breath before pulling out of his embrace. "I want no more deaths... I wouldn't be able to bear it."

He stared into the distance before meeting her gaze. "Some are beginning to suspect it's the Alpha of Ulfur."

"So, my mother and Landon are the next targets."

Frederick nodded. "It's obvious now that whoever is behind this, they're going after the leaders of the packs. Alphas, Betas and the Deltas."

Annika took a deep breath, fighting back tears to no avail. "All those I care for are either Alphas or Betas."

The front doors opened wide and Scarlet rushed inside and down the large hall. She engulfed Annika in a hug as they both cried.

"I know nothing I can say can take your pain away... I'm so sorry."

"Scarlet, I convinced him to not go on a plane... it changed nothing. He's... dead." A scream of frustration escaped her lips. "What's the point of these visions if I can't change fate?"

Scarlet's hold around her tightened. Annika's gaze fell upon the opened front doors to find Devyn there, Luna by his side with a mask. After pulling away from Scarlet, Annika headed toward them.

When he pulled her into an embrace, it didn't have much effect. The pain was beyond healing. She tightened her hold around him and wept. Then it began to abate. As she pulled away, Devyn kept his hold on her arm. The marks that once were dark glowed pearl-white.

Annika wiped the tears from her face. He cupped the side of her face and she leaned into his touch.

At the sound of the elevator doors, Annika glanced over her shoulder to find Nina standing in front of them as they slid shut. She stared wide-eyed at Devyn, her eyes welled up with tears.