Part 1

Disclaimer: This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. The author does not claim any ownership or responsibility for any images, videos, or music used in this story unless otherwise stated.

The opinions and views expressed in this story are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of any organizations or individuals mentioned or affiliated with them.

copyright © athenalazy

all right reserved

****

Khlea's fingers traced the delicate petals of the sunflowers that filled the vase on her bedside table. She had always loved sunflowers, with their bright yellow petals and their ability to always turn towards the sun. It was a reminder to him that even in the darkest of times, there was still beauty to be found.

I heard the soft sound of footsteps and looked up to see Gino standing in the doorway. He looked tired, with dark circles under his eyes and a heaviness in his shoulders that he knew all too well.

"How was work?" I asked, trying to keep my voice light.

Gino shrugged. "It was fine. Same old, same old."

I knew that he was trying to protect me, but I could see the worry etched into the lines of his face. I reached out a hand and he took it, squeezing it gently.

"I'm okay," I said, giving him a small smile. "I just need to rest a little."

Gino nodded, but I could tell that he didn't want to leave my side. I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of his breathing as he sat down beside me on the bed.

For a few moments, they were both silent. Khlea could feel the weight of the unspoken words between them, the fear and the sadness that hung in the air like a heavy fog.

"I love you," Gino said suddenly, breaking the silence.

My eyes fluttered open and I turned to look at him. "I love you too."

We stayed like that for a while, holding hands and watching the sunflowers as the afternoon light began to fade. I knew that time was running out, but in that moment, I felt a sense of peace and contentment that I hadn't felt in a long time.

As the last of the sunlight slipped away, Gino leaned in and kissed me gently on the forehead.

"Rest," he whispered.

I closed my eyes and let the darkness take me, knowing that no matter what happened, I would always have Gino by my side.