{Chapter 1 - The Vanishing of Will Byers}

The party was sitting in the Wheeler basement, playing Dungeons & Dragons as usual. The group was in the middle of a campaign. Mike was the Dungeon Master, Ronja sat to his right with Dustin on her right. Beside Mike, Lucas sat and Will was across from the 2 Wheeler twins. They'd just finished an encounter and were moving on to the next. Everyone around the table were holding their breath, anticipating what would happen.

"Something's coming. Something hungry for blood." Mike said dramatically, looking at them. "A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness. It is almost here."

"What is it?" Will asked eagerly.

"What if it's the Demogorgon?" Dustin fretted, glancing at the party members. Will slumped back against his chair and groaned.

"Oh, Jesus, we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgon." Ronja replied, moving her head towards one hand which was resting on the table in distress.

"It's not the Demogorgon." Lucas tried to convince them.

"An army of troglodytes charge into the chamber!" Mike exclaimed, moving one of the many foe pieces from behind his Dungeon Master screen onto the board infront of them.

"Troglodytes?" Dustin said in an amused tone, looking at Ronja.

"Told ya." Lucas replied with a grin on his face.

Ronja crossed her arms and looked at the two boys with a stern expression that soon was replaced with laughter.

Everyone except Mike chuckled. On his face a worried expression had appeared and he started to slowly turn his head. This lead to all of them stop giggling.

"Wait a minute. Did you hear that?" He said softly, turning his head back to them. "That.. that sound? Boom.. boom."

"Boom!" He yelled as he slammed his hands down onto the table, causing all of them to jump. "That didn't come from the troglodytes. No, that... That came from something else." They all turned their attention towards Mike.

Suddenly he moved another piece out from his screen. "The Demogorgon!" All party members groaned in dismay.

"We're in deep shit." Dustin replied with dismay.

"Will, you're action!" Mike shouted.

"I don't know!" Will yelled as they all turned to him.

"Fireball him!" Ronja hollered.

"I'd have to roll a 13 or higher!" Will retorted.

"Too risky. Cast a protection spell." Dustin advised him.

"Don't be a pussy. Fireball him!"

"Cast Protection."

Will followed the argument, head swinging back and forth. Mike slammed his hands down onto the table again.

"The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering! It stops towards you. Boom!" The Wheeler brother declared.

"Fireball!" Ronja shouted at Will.

"Another boom!" Mike continued, even louder than before.

"Cast Protection."

"He roars in anger!"

All of them clamoured, voicing their opinions fiercely.

"Fireball!" Will finally decided, rolling the die onto the table. It clattered down onto the floor.

"Oh shit." Lucas said alarmed as they all stood up, overturning their chairs in the movement.

"Where'd it go?" Lucas yelled. "Where is it?"