Chapter Ⅱ

Frederick quickly walked back to his room. He swore to himself he would hit however was the next person to approach him, not like if anyone would do so, as his anger was palpable.

“Excuse me sir?” a voice was however heard

The musician turned back, ready to fistfight whoever dared to talk to him, but faced a young girl, maybe ten years old, with big brown eyes and long golden hair. Frederick thought for a second that Alice aged backward in a split of minutes.

“Can I help you?” he asked, forcing a kind smile on his face and sweetening his voice.
“It appears I lost myself in such a big estate. Could you help me find my way to the butler?”
“I’d be glad to help you.”

Sighing, Frederick led the little girl back to the dining room, that was the last place he saw the butler, hoping the others would have left already.

“Such a big suitcase seems heavy for a young lady. Please, let me carry it for you.”
“Oh, thank you.” she said, handing the white baggage to him.

The newcomer seemed to be a noble lady, from the way she talked to the way she moved, and of course, from her high-quality tailored dress.

Thankfully for Frederick, as they walked in the dining room, they found it empty. They then started to wander through the manor, but found no one, not even the other guests. The pianist thought that every time he was looking for other people, it always seemed like they all disappeared. But from the size of the manor, it was simply unlikely to run into other people, considering that there were only 6 of them, including the butler and the newly arrived visitor.

“By the way, I didn’t ask your name.” he asked, finding the silence awkward.
“You can call me Melody, no needs for formalities”
“Then you may refer to me by my first name as well, Frederick. Nice to meet you.”

Melody bowed slightly, giving back the greetings the man gave her.

“Are you tired? We’ve been walking for quite some time now.”
“I am.”
“I could carry you.” Frederick proposed.
“But you’re already carrying my suitcase… I’d be ashamed to burden you more.”
“Don’t worry, I wouldn’t have proposed if it was bothering me.” the man chuckled.

He kneeled down, allowing the girl to wrap her arms around his neck. Frederick was actually surprised by how light Melody was. He could walk around with ease, holding her with only one arm, letting the other carry the suitcase. The last place they didn't go to yet was the east wing of the second floor, because he was told it was the master’s room, his personal office, and the library. Without much surprise however, they didn’t find anyone, and quickly left because the atmosphere was worrisome.

“Maybe we should go back to the living room and wait? Perhaps the butler will be the one to find us?” Melody said softly, testifying her sleepiness.”

The composer nodded, and they both went back to the first floor. Putting Melody down on the couch, he sat next to her, but soon, the little girl asked.

“Can you play piano?”

Following her gaze, Frederick noticed that she was staring at the massive piano next to them.

“I can,” he got up to sit down on the piano bench. “Is there anything you’d fancy listening to?”
“Any song you know.”

The young man refrained from laughing. As a professional pianist, he knew a lot of songs, but chose to play a short piece his older sister used to play to him when he was younger. He still loved this lullaby, even though he was going to reach thirty soon. He kind of hoped it would put Melody to sleep, because Frederick didn’t know how to entertain a child.