FIVE

August 23rd, 2005 – Tuesday, 7:45pm

Mattheo tosses another pillow towards Corey, only this time, it hits me in the face. They've been fighting one another with our pillows for an hour now. I really thought they would've grown tired by now, but they both just seem chockful of energy for some reason.

Both boys stop bouncing on their beds for once. Neither seems to be breathing as they stare at me. It was then that I noticed how tightly I was gripping the pillow. My claws had ripped through the soft material. Tossing the pillow back at Mattheo causes white feathers to fall gently all around the room. Silence overtakes the room now and you can hear each feather moving through the air.

I feel a burning in my chest and look away from the boys, unsure of why I feel embarrassed. "Uh, sorry."

Corey and Mattheo both begin laughing on their beds. Ignoring their cackles of laughter, I continue flipping through the science book that Amaya had let me borrow after lunch yesterday. She seems like a nice person despite how cold Mattheo seems to treat her. James on the other hand is constantly asking her if she needs anything, doting on her like she's completely helpless. It's downright disgusting to watch. According to Percy, James is just a bit more advanced with his feelings for girls than we are. Apparently, James is just a couple weeks shy of fourteen. Mattheo says he missed the deadline to join the fourth-year students so that's why he's in our grade.

The door swings open to reveal a very wet and angry looking Percy. He steps into the room and quickly becomes covered in white feathers. A giant and angry boy-chicken now stands before us. Silence once again grips the room and I pray that these two idiots behind me keep it that way.

"Percy..." Corey seems to be struggling to keep his laughter in check. "This was an accident, but I've got to say-"

No, don't say it. Don't do it, Corey.

"-you look feathering fantastic."

Mattheo begins cackling from the bed beside me and Corey falls to the floor while clutching his stomach.

"Cluckin' good one, Corey!" Mattheo laughs out.

Percy begins seething from his spot by the doorway. His brown eyes turn to meet mine and I scoot back up onto the bed more, my back pressed against my pillows tightly. Knees up, eyes glued to my book, I try to block out the three boys as they argue now. Corey continues making chicken puns about Percy while Mattheo busies himself with clucking noises as he dances on his mattress.

If there was one thing I was thankful for when it comes to being raised the way I was, it's that I don't act like these guys do. What's the point in acting like an idiot and causing trouble for everyone around you- There isn't one.

"What happened to you anyway?" Corey asks through muffled laughter. "You look awful."

Percy then seethes, "I found the little water bucket above the storage door you left for Helman." The boys laugh harder now as he grumbles out, "I should've just reported you twerps and been done with it."

"You know you love us too much for that, Perc." Mattheo begins clapping him on the back like he does the other boys. It's a gesture he does often. "Think about it, you could be Finley's den mother."

Percy seems to shudder before glancing at me finally. "Rylan." The room quiets now as he says, "I was told to let you know that Nicholas is in the headmaster's office waiting for you. He wants to use a visitation day."

What- Why would he possibly want to visit me after what happened? I distinctly remember telling him I didn't need or want his help.

"Can I come with you? I kind of need to see him anyway," Mattheo says while standing.