#5

Joseph.

Begrudgingly, I pulled myself out of bed. I already knew that it was going to be yet another boring school day, another day where I got to play the role of spectator while my other classmates lived Netflix series lives. I wonder if any of them even remembered to do their chemistry assignments.

I knelt by my bedside and prayed for a few minutes, mostly for my parents because only God really knew when they'd be coming back. Then I got up and picked my phone from my bedside drawer, just to make sure Doyin and Remi hadn't made any impromptu announcements.

When I opened WhatsApp however, another notification had me distracted for a few minutes. I tapped her contact and decided to read what she'd sent.

Esosa: Hi, good morning.

Thanks again for the video. It was really helpful.

I quickly replied with a "you're welcome." I checked the class group chat, but all I found were the leftover arguments and shades from yesterday.

~ Esosa: You don't have to be so rude. You treat everyone like they're shit, but you have to be the shittiest person I know.

~ DoyinTheQueen: Bitch, I'd like to see you say this crap to my face.

Esosa: Alright, you pick the time, I'll be there. Don't start rubbish you can't finish.

~Chisomm: Oya, you people it's okay. Biko

~starfire: Nooo. Let them continue, me, am enjoying myself oh.

I rolled my eyes before putting my phone down. Didn't Esosa realize that she was way too pretty for all these baseless arguments. She was tough, and I understood why she always felt the need to put Doyin in her place, Doyin was a walking, breathing, living version of pride itself. But sometimes, it was really just better to ignore Doyin's pointless dramatizations.

I got of my bed and decided to start preparing for school. As usual, the house was empty for the most part. The only other person at home right now was my Aunt Kelly and technically, this was even her house. I just referred to it as "home" because for as long as I could remember, it had been my home. My parents travelled way too much for their own good, so it was really either being homeless or living here.

When I had put on my uniform, I quickly combed my hair, before racing out of my room. I had my backpack on and was about to rush through the living room, when a familiar voice called me back. I stopped and backtracked till I found myself in the kitchen.

"Ah ahn Joeseph," My aunt Kelly shouted playfully "Won't you greet me before heading out?"

"Ekaro ma." I said bowing my head respectfully. When I first got here, I used to postrate before her every morning and every night before going to bed. She stopped me, saying that it was way too formal. That loosened the tension in the air at the time, and now, she's one of my closest adult friends. It took a while for us to get where we are now, but I'm grateful for her friendship.

"Ekaro oko mi." She said with a smile. My aunt was short, and light skinned and at the moment, she had a short bob wig on. She looked wonderful, as always with her signature "kiss the cook." apron tied around her waist.

"Fine boy!" She continued "Be careful on your way to school oh. And don't forget to wash the car when you get back. Mi o fe gbo story oh!"

"Yes ma." I said.

"Eh hen." She said.

"What about mum and dad?" I asked, "have you heard anything from them?"

Aunty Kelly's face fell when she heard my question. I could already tell from the lines that had formed on her forehead, what the answer would be.