chapter two

The next morning I woke to chatter in the kitchen which was odd, being that my roommates hate each other

The next morning I woke to chatter in the kitchen which was odd, being that my roommates hate each other. I rolled over and stuck my feet in my fuzzy slippers before wrapping myself in my pink robe and opening the door.

"Good morning!" Carson beamed at the sight of me.

"Cars. Volume. Please." I held my head and held my free hand up at her to signal her to stop yelling. "Hi Nicole."

Shockingly, there was no response.

"Why are you awake so early? I was sure I wouldn't see you up right until noon.  Possibly on the bathroom floor until 11:30, but definitely not in our kitchen at 9:15." I asked Carson as I pulled a mug from the cabinet and placed it on our Keurig as it preheated. .

"Oh you know what they say about that bird and the worm," Carson said, adjusting her blonde messy bun and leaning on the island.

"Okay???" I trailed off and yet again a silence swallowed the room as I picked between Caramel and French Vanilla pods. "What gives?"

"What gives with what?" Carson asked, chin perched in her hands.

"The radio silence, the overwhelming sound of the water boiling inside the coffee maker is usually covered by our Saturday morning debrief. Why are you so quiet? I left two hours before you last night I was sure you would have a story or 7 about hockey team karaoke." I grinned as I heard the noise of my coffee being made.

"No, no stories. Very boring night, dull even." Carson rambled.

"That's impossible. Nothing with Luke has ever been or ever will be boring." I said and Carson responded with a shrug. "Okay, Nicole what did you do last night?"

I looked over at Nicole who picked up her bowl of cereal and put a spoonful in her mouth before casually announcing, "Your friend just left." and exiting to her lair.

Mouth agape, I turned to see Carson's face resting in her hands on the counter.

"Who just what?" I asked her, placing my coffee mug on the island.

"No habla ingles?" She questioned.

"Carson Taylor." I smiled.

"No, shut up." She pointed at me as I went to the fridge for some creamer.

"Who was here?" I grinned as I shook up my Sweet Cream coffee creamer.

"Paisley..." She grunted. "I don't know what happened."

"Yes you do, I don't need to know what you know. I can infer. But you know. I know. You were 6 Titos shots in when I left and you were out for two more hours. I heard you come home but I didn't hear anyone else." I laughed.

"No, I don't know what happened." Carson repeated. "He makes me gag, the thought of him near me makes me violent. You've seen it first hand, so no I really do not know how I ended up coming home with Luke Hughes."