Chapter 5: Frolicking

What does it mean to be truly alone?

To Mofe, alone was being the definition of lonely. Alone was being surrounded by a hundred people who say they are your friends but you feel you can't talk a single one of them.

To be alone was to know you had people who you called friends but you sabotaged yourself into thinking you were taking advantage of them, therefore leaving them. That was what happened to Mofe in JSS3

Alone was unconsciously shutting down friendships and excluding yourself from friend groups. And by the time you noticed, it was too late.

Alone was everyone being able to talk to her, but her not being able to talk to anyone. They all at some point came to meet her because, although she wasn't always friendly, when caught at the right time she was a listening ear and a somewhat excellent advisor.  She wasn't like this by choice. She did want to talk to someone, but who?

She began to evaluate each person she could speak to about... whatever and why the clouds in the sky made her unhappy and how that morning she hated everything that had life flowing through it's veins.

She had Ibukun, Tofunmi, Abe- no. Mofe, you ended that friendship, don't you remember?

Okay, so she had two people. But what if she was bothering them? What if they got tired if her?

There was God. She hadn't forgotten Him. She loves God. She knew He was there, but sometimes she wished the rapture would happen so she could finally be able to hold and feel the holes in the palms of his hand.

To hear His still soft, yet powerful voice ask that one question that has the tendency to break down the most unshakeable walls with the most solid foundation.

"Are you okay, child?"

But He wouldn't have to ask, would He? For before He formed her in the womb, He knew her.

So instead if answering His question, she would crawl into His laps and cry.

Mofe was seated on one of the rickety lab stools, quietly sniffling trying to stop any snot that threatened to leave her nose. She sighed."I'm sorry, Funmi-Tofunmi."

"No. Call me Funmi, I like it when you call me that," he smiled."And you're sorry for what, Mofe?"

She sighed again, exasperated. This was awkward. When Mofe had outbursts like this, she never knew how to deal with the aftermath.

She cringed inwardly remembering the last time something like this had happened. She was watching the television with her mother and just suddenly broke down.

Her mother stared at her not knowing what to do. When Mofe was done crying, she got up to clean her nose and sat back down like nothing had happened. Leaving her mother to wonder what could have caused such an outburst, a question that even Mofe could not answer.

Now, after crying on this boy that she had barely known for two weeks, she felt... embarrassed so say the least. And the fact she had broken down in public?

Chaiii. Mofe, what were you thinking?

They were in the Chemistry lab. It was the nearest place Tofunmi saw to drag Mofe into as she hid her face with the sleeve of her sweater, shielding her red eyes form the questioning gaze of onlookers.

"I'm sorry for um..putting you in a situation like that. I wasn't in the right state of mind-"

"You definitely  were not in the right state of mind," Tofunmi chuckled lightly to himself cutting in.