13. ᴛʜᴇ Qᴜɪᴅᴅɪᴛᴄʜ ᴍᴀᴛᴄʜ

The whistle sounds, and we all kick off from the ground. Commentating begins immediately with a dig on the Gryffindor team- "Well, there they go, and I think we're all surprised to see the team that Potter's put together this year. Many thought, given Ronald Weasley's patchy performance as Keeper last year, that he might be off the team, but of course, a close personal friendship with the Captain does help..."

I'm the first Beater to either of the two Bludgers, and I whack it across the pitch where it makes a direct collision with Gryffindor Chaser Dean Thomas. The whole crowd winces along with me, but the Hufflepuff commentator is still too busy smearing dirt all over Harry's name that he makes no note about Thomas's impressive climb back onto his broom.

"Oh, and here comes Slytherin's first attempt on goal, it's Zabini streaking down the pitch and-" I swerve around to get a look at the scene- "Weasley saves it, well, he's bound to get lucky sometimes, I suppose..."

I shoot down to knock a Bludger right out of Blaise's path. He sends me a grateful smile, then falls back in formation with the other Chasers. I signal to the other Beater, Millicent Bulstrode, and the two of us start trailing after the Gryffindor Chasers. She had to fill in because our usual Beater is off doing Salazar knows what. I don't mind. I much prefer working with Bulstrode than that idiot Gregory Goyle, anyway.

The two of us make a good team, chasing after the Bludgers and sending them directly into the opposing Chasers' paths. Weasley, Robins, and Thomas are forced to break up to avoid getting knocked off their brooms- Robins drops the Quaffle in the process and the ball goes hurtling down, right into the waiting arms of-

"Riddle in possession, Zabini and Vaisey of Slytherin following closely behind, Riddle passes to Zabini, dodges a Bludger sent by Gryffindor's Coote- Of course, Coote isn't really the usual build for a Beater, they've generally got a bit more muscle-"

"Hit a Bludger at him!" Harry roars from above, pointing in the direction of the Hufflepuff commentator, drawing several laughs from those close enough to hear him. Coote grins up at his captain but opts to whack a Bludger in Harper's direction, instead. I shoot upwards, save Slytherin's Seeker from getting his ribs bruised with a spectacular hit on my part, even if I do say so myself. But instead of hearing this in the commentary-

"-And Slytherin's Bulstrode is down, a Bludger to the back of her head by Peakes, that was a dirty shot right there-"

"That wasn't dirty at all!" Harry shouts down indignantly, but I'm too worried about myself now to pay him much mind. With Bulstrode out of the game, I'll have to start playing on the defensive as opposed to the offensive- I hover closely over Blaise, Vaisey, and Mattheo as they travel towards Ron as a group, constantly passing the Quaffle between them so that Gryffindor's Keeper won't know who to expect the shoot from- Though I'm guessing that Ron knows it's not going to be Vaisey, the news of how Goyle accidentally gave him a concussion with his Beater's bat traveled rather quickly through the Quidditch crowd yesterday. Were Slytherin's team captained by anyone else, Vaisey probably would have tried to get out of the game- The bruise on his head did not look pretty. But the seventh-year ended up deciding that he would rather risk dropping dead of multiple aneurysms than get on Mattheo's bad side. Thus, his wobbly presence on the Quidditch pitch today.

The Quaffle goes hurtling out of Mattheo's hand, barreling straight for the right side hoop. It seems impossible that anyone could make this save, and yet-

A roar goes up from the Gryffindor stands when Ron pulls off an unbelievable Sloth Grip-Roll, hanging upside down from his broom to knock the Quaffle aside with his fist.

This happens three more times, incredible shots from both Mattheo and Blaise that end up being rendered useless by the ginger.

The crowd of red and gold below start singing some kind of song, with Ron conducting them from above- And even with this distraction, Weasley manages to keep out every fucking goal, until Mattheo gets so furious that he simply hurls the ball straight at Ron's face. That ends up knocking Ron through the goal, along with the Quaffle as well- To which many complaints are raised, as well as several middle fingers. Eventually, Hooch declares that Mattheo's move, no matter how immoral it may have been, was still a valid one, so now it's a humiliating one hundred-ten with Gryffindor in favor.