CHAPTER ONE

"MARI-MARI!"

"MARI!"

"MARI!"

She smiled as the camera's flashed and snapped away taking photos on the red carpet. Mari blew a kiss as she was told to keep walking and waved goodbye to the cameras.

"Mesa tres para la Senorita Ley"

Mari thanked the hostess and followed the usher to her table, the table was up near the front of the stage. Florida's Theater was huge and elegantly set, she walked by many tables before finally getting to her own, which already had some guests sitting at it.

"Mari!" the people at the table waved as they spotted her making her way over.

She smiled as she got to the table, thanking the usher before they left, and then greeted the members of the Mexican pop-rock band, Maná.

"Mira que linda te vez!" Fher said as he gave her a side hug.

"Gracias!" Mari said as she took her seat. There were small name plaques placed to indicate everyone's assigned seat. She looked at the seat next to her 'Shakira' was written in the gold font. She smiled, excited to be sitting next to one of her favorite people in the world, both as an actress and a person.

But as the minutes went by, the theater got more and more full, and the loud chatter of people filled the air as they awaited for the awards to begin. People came over to their table to greet her and the band, yet the Columbian blonde was nowhere to be seen, making the seat next to her feel cold and lonely.

Mari looked around, trying to catch any glimpse of Shakira near the entrance perhaps, as the show started. The host welcomed everyone watching on TV and Mari took a quick glance at her phone, they were only five minutes into the show and everyone was silent as they paid attention to the host. Mari put her phone down and felt a presence next to the empty seat along with some whispering.

She looked to see one of the ushers and not Shakira but instead, a tall and skinny guy sat next to her, taking Shakira's spot.

He turned to her and nodded his head to acknowledge her with a smile, Mari gave him a small smile in return, then went back to pay attention to what the host was saying.

But Mari couldn't quite concentrate on what the host was saying as she wondered, who the guy sitting next to her was– obviously not Shakira.

She glanced at the guy, her eyes quickly looking away. He didn't seem familiar, she didn't recognize him at all.

She hesitated before turning around slightly and whispering, "soy Mari, by the way"

The guy chuckled softly, his eyes glued to the host but his words being meant for Mari, "I know you have un chingo de hits," he smiled and took a sip of the champagne in the glass, "hell I for sure know those hips don't lie"

Mari let out a quiet laugh, knowing he was referring to the belly dancing she grew to be world-famous for during her last tour.

"Oh, funny aren't you," she smiled with rosy cheeks, keeping her eyes on the stage.

"Ahh, entonces que los A-lister si tienen humor" he said.

She turned her head to look at him and shrugged, "i don't know what makes you day that, considering you're what? An E-lister"

"Oh funny aren't you" he mocked her with a playful laugh, which in turn made her burst out in a fit of giggles.

Mari tried to keep her laugh quiet as they both got dirty looks from the other tables.

"Anyway, no me digas que you haven't heard of La Doble P?" the guy said.

Mari shook her head but kept her attention on the stage, "no"