A Ball of Beauty and Revelations

'Your beauty matters more than your prettiness' - S.S

Reyna slipped into the crowd of people, searching for the Prince. Never mind she didn't know who she was looking for. She had been given no description of his physical attributes - and Fabian, who might have helped her find him, had disappeared. She rubbed her hands, wondering her next course of action. As a girl, she had always dreamed of becoming a Princess and attending a ball where she fell in love. It was almost funny how her childhood dream had taken a dark turn. Destined to make a Prince fall in love with her and killing him just before their wedding. Reyna recalled what Agnes had said - make him notice you. Dance with someone? Stage an upset? Pretend to be hurt? She pondered the possibilities, each more tedious than the last. She bit her lip, eyes searching for someone. She almost grinned with relief when her eyes snagged on a dark blonde head.

She slipped through the throng, murmuring 'excuse me's as she made her way through. As Reyna came closer she was relieved to find she had been correct - it had been the strange girl from earlier - Everly. Her hair was curled, half of it up to form a bun while the rest fell down her back. She looked different in the light, smiling with a girl Reyna didn't recognise. Her gown was a red yellow, the colour of sunset, hanging off her shoulders and sweeps of tulle billowing from the waist down, the dress going past her feet and spilling out behind her. She looked radiant,  like a sunbeam. Reyna tapped her on the shoulder. The other girl turned to look at her dumbstruck, mouth hanging open in surprise. She was pretty enough, albeit simple, brown hair and eyes and a flush in her cheeks. 

Everly turned to her with a smile. "I was hoping to see you, Rain." She nodded to the other girl. "This is Gladys. She's hoping to compete at the Prince's Hand too." Gladys inclined her head politely before waiting for Everly to speak. "I see. I'm Reyna, nice to meet you." 

"I've never heard of you." Gladys commented. "Where are you from?"

As Reyna was figuring out a response, Everly cut in. "Don't answer, Rain. Keep yourself a mystery." She replied with a wink before grabbing Reyna's arm. "Let's look at the food, shall we?" And with that, they marched off leaving Gladys in the dust. Everly was quite excited over the choices of pie, cake and fruits before settling on a strawberry dipped in chocolate. At her insistence, she had one too. The sweetness and warmth was perfect ; she almost swooned from the delight. 

Reyna noticed after a few different strawberries, people were sending her and Everly glances. She couldn't help but be suspicious. After all, who was Everly really? Her dress was more luxurious than the rest and her manner was more refined, speech more articulate. She definitely was hiding something. "Who are you, really?" Reyna blurted out. Everly finished swallowing a strawberry before releasing a laugh. "Took you longer than I expected." She replied, grabbing a glass of champagne from a passing butler. She drunk deeply, draining the glass before setting it down with ease. "So?" Reyna asked incredulous. "Answer me." Everly eyed her before sighing, wrapping a piece of hair around her finger. "You're not in the position to make demands but...I like you so I'll be honest." She grinned. "I'm the Princess."

Reyna wanted to groan. Of course. How hadn't she seen it sooner? The confidence and boldness, unnatural beauty that only one of royal blood could have. Unless you made a deal with Witches. She had forgotten that Donovan had a younger, beautiful sister and cursed herself. "Should have seen that coming." Reyna replied, drinking from  a glass of champagne. She'd never had alcohol before and marvelled at its sourness. Everly watched her, amused. 

"Can I ask you something?"

"Go on. I might not answer though if its something incriminating." The princess replied with a smirk. Reyna rolled her eyes. "Where is he? Your brother?"