Chapter 12

I could feel the tension in the air as my questions echoed throughout the room

I could feel the tension in the air as my questions echoed throughout the room. My father turned to look at me.

"Sienna." His voice was so serious that I couldn't help straightening my spine.

I looked at the grave expression on their faces and guessed before they could even say anything. "She's dead, isn't she?"

My mom shook her head and sighed. "We don't know."

"But didn't Henry disappear with her? Jalen just hinted that they've been in contact for years."

"Henry is alive, yes but he doesn't know where your aunt disappeared to either. He's been looking this entire time."

Jalen nodded. "It's been so long that we've already accepted the fact that she's probably dead by now. If she was alive, we'd have at least caught a faint trail by now and it's been years."

I fell silent and played around with my food. "So he really did love her."

I thought back to years ago when I thought that Henry and my aunt had a mutually beneficial relationship where he provided and she served. It was wrong of me to think that but I couldn't help it. Their interactions always seemed strange and it was always as if they didn't trust each other.

I used to think that Henry played a part in my aunt's disappearance. That maybe he killed her and hid her body somewhere before running off. Now I knew that what I saw back then didn't even come close to the truth. I guess I was being biased because of the intimidating air Henry walked around with. His large, tattooed, muscular build didn't help my apprehension either.

"Your aunt and Henry were sweethearts," my mom smiled as her eyes glazed over at the memory. "Henry was Maya's bodyguard. That's how they met. He was simply meant to keep her and you girls safe. I guess your aunt wanted a better level of security." She joked.

I wrinkled my nose just as Selena grimaced. "Please stop."

She laughed and waved a dismissive hand. "Enough about that. Henry will find her. Dead or alive. You two don't need to worry about it. This dinner is to welcome Sienna. I want all of us to get close as soon as possible."

"Angie is right. Tell us about yourself, Ana," my father pitched in, turning his attention to me.

I furrowed my brows. "Ana?"

He nodded, his lips tilting into a smirk as he shot a glance at my mother. "It's your middle name. Marianne. Your mother refused when I suggested that name but after arguing for months, we finally settled for it being your middle name. I'd rather call you that since I came up with it." He sounded so smug.

Mom rolled her eyes and pretended not to hear him as she turned to me. "So... any interesting details about yourself?"

The fact that they seemed genuinely interested had me fumbling over my words.