Chapter 4

As I made my way home, I felt my head pounding. Afifa's words wouldn't leave my mind, and, on top of that, I had received 3 pieces of homework from my subject teachers and I was just notified of a progress test in my psychology lesson next week. This weekend will be a busy one.

Today had been a mentally gruelling day and I was ready to begin my Jummah activities to recharge myself. Normally, this included reading Sarah Kahf, cleaning up the house a bit, and giving Sadqah (charity) . I had already cleaned myself in the morning before school, and I read dhuhr in the prayer room with Afifa at lunchtime. When these activities were completed, I normally felt happy and fulfilled as if I had the strength to survive another week.

As I approached the front door to my house, my eyes cascaded the driveway. Autumn leaves had scattered the plane, overgrown weeds were visible between my mother's plants, and garden furniture was carelessly toppled over. The winds had been strong today, a sign that the furniture should be placed away in the shed. There was a time this garden was fit to rival top celebrity gardens. You know, those gardens that are worked on by a dozen professional gardeners who are always on duty? There's never a misplaced leaf. Everything's perfect...

Our garden used to be like that too...all handled by my mother.

And now that she's gone, the impact can be seen by the world.

Sighing, I dropped my backpack on the pebbled driveway. I picked 2 chairs under my arms and heaved them to the shed adjacent to the house, slightly wobbling as the wind blew heavily again.  I heard the scrape of the remaining chairs fly across the ground. I squinted my eyes at the sky.

"Really?" I said

"Weather's acting up today, isn't it?"

I gazed confusingly at the clear sky. The sky can't talk.

I heard a muffled laugh, followed by, "Right behind you." The humoured voice made me turn around.

Hassan's familiar face was staring at me. His cheeks were stretched into a giddy smile, so much so his dimples were visible. Like me, he had a backpack on his shoulder, and seemed to be on his way back from school. But, what was he doing here?

I took some small steps forward. I turned to look at my house's front door. It was shut. But my Dad is inside.

"What are you doing here? Did you get lost again?" I questioned.

He scrunched his nose as if he had tasted something sour. "No, I didn't get lost again"

Oh. I raised my eyebrow. That still doesn't answer the question of why he is here.

"Actually..." He scratched the back of his neck. He seemed nervous. "I followed you here"

I stared blankly at him. My Dad, the person I respect most in this world, is inside the house...and this person, this boy, was saying that he followed me home. He's making a mockery of me if what he is saying is true.

But, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I nodded my head slowly, "Can I ask why?"

He looked at me wide-eyed. Again, what is with his wide-eyed stare? As if he's always constantly alarmed.

He said nothing for a few seconds, but then he quietly spoke "To be honest, my parents told me to look out for a girl called Zahra Hussain when I came to Kingston Sixth Form. The moment we met, I didn't know your name, but when Mrs Carter gave your name while she was giving us that lecture, I realised you were THAT Zahra my parents were talking about."

Now, I was confused. Why would his parents talk about me to him? And, who were his parents to me?

"Who are your parents?" We were a safe distance from each other. I, one step away from the house and my family. And him, he was standing outside the driveway, on the pavement, around a 3 metre distance. But knowing people, no matter the context, they always assume the worst. And I could already imagine what I'd be accused of if I was caught spending another minute in the driveway, in his presence. Just when I had made the decision to flee into my house, he opened his mouth to speak...and the front door opened.