Prologue

September the 25th 1864

It was late at night when Hannah Forbes entered her room. She ignored her soiled dress and lay down on her bed to cry.

Stefan Salvatore was dead.

He was dead.

Hannah had seen him and his brother shot by their own father.

Ruthless.

She had loved him. She had loved Stefan with all her heart. Even if he broke up with her a while before. And now that he was gone, it felt like a part of her had gone with him.

The next morning Hannah walked briskly through the deserted streets. She was tired, she had spent the night crying.

The young Mystic Falls resident had a clear goal. She wanted to confront Giuseppe Salvatore.

Hannah wanted him to admit that he himself had killed his only two sons.

As the Salvatores' house appeared, someone stepped in her way.

Katherine Pierce. One of the people Hannah liked least in the world.

She had played with Stefan and Damon Salvatore. She had used both brothers for her games. She had seduced and exploited them.

Unfortunately, only Hannah seemed to have recognized this truth.

Katherine just looked at Hannah. And just as young Forbes was about to ask her counterpart to step aside, Katherine broke her neck. As light as if she were just picking a flower from the grass.

Hannah Forbes fell to the ground. She was dead. Just Like Stefan.