Chapter Four

Hey guys!

Thank you so much for all your support and kind comments! I truly appreciate it! 🖤

I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Please beware that there are mentions of drugs, death, and overdosing in this chapter. 

I'd like to send a huge thank you to my fellow writers and dear friends Jesse_Winter_Soldier and Talia-Rumlow for being amazing and supportive sounding boards for me. You two are the greatest! 🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

Happy Reading!

-Sif

Bucky climbed into his pickup truck, the comfortable seats embracing him as he settled behind the wheel

Bucky climbed into his pickup truck, the comfortable seats embracing him as he settled behind the wheel. He tossed his duffle bag onto the back seat, the thud of it a reminder of the past three days spent away from home. He missed his daughter more than he could express and was more than ready to make the journey back. The passenger door opened; another duffle bag ended up in the back seat next to his as Steve climbed into the cab.

Steve Rogers, Bucky's best friend, his deputy, and Tyler's godfather.

Steve settled in the seat, buckling up. "I am so ready to go home," he sighed, running his hands through his disheveled blonde hair. "What about you?" he asked.

Bucky nodded, the weariness in his eyes replaced by a spark of anticipation. "You have no idea, Steve. I've missed that little troublemaker of ours."

Steve chuckled, knowing exactly who Bucky was referring to. "Yeah, I bet she's been asking when her super amazing godfather is coming back every day you've been gone."

Rolling his eyes, Bucky turned over the ignition. The engine purred to life with a hum, the truck running smoothly as he pulled out of the precinct's parking lot. The bust had gone well, but the relief he felt couldn't dispel the lingering fatigue that clung to him.

Bucky's absence from home had been due to a meticulously planned drug bust, a joint operation that had been in the works for months. He'd been collaborating with a neighboring police force, sharing information, and gathering the necessary evidence to bring down a significant drug trafficking operation that had plagued their neck of the woods for far too long.

Pikesville PD prided itself on keeping its streets clean and safe, but when a Pikesville Central High School student overdosed in the bathroom due to heroin laced with fentanyl that looked like another prescription opioid, that was the worst day of his life. Walking up those brick porch steps, knocking on that yellow front door, and watching it open to a concerned mother saying those words had left his mouth tasting like ash.

The operation had involved undercover work, wiretaps, and surveillance, all aimed at building an ironclad case against the drug cartel. The team tracked the cartel's movements, identified key players, and gathered evidence of their illegal activities, including narcotics distribution and money laundering.