CHAPTER TWO

Louis still remembered Helene, much to his own surprise. Back then, there were only William and him living together in the slums of Whitechapel. Although he had never really starved due to his brother's help in bringing food to the table, he had always been wanting to contribute more since he was against with the fact that William had to do all the work for his sake. 

The opportunity presented itself when a noble woman showed up in the slums handing out food for the residing poor orphans and old prostitutes. That noblewoman was a strange one, helping people born at rock bottom when she could instead, sipping on tea at her own residence. Either way, no one ever really complained as it was already a blessing that they had something to eat. Louis tend to receive food from the noblewoman whom the latter would smile gently at him when doing so. Sometimes she would also bring a young girl along to help out. That young girl was Helene.

 Helene was a girl around Louis's age who had a gay disposition and a pretty face; not as beautiful as her mother but still considered pretty. She was always smiling despite the gloomy place, asking people how they were doin as if dirt did not affect her as a person. This trait was detested by some because of her noble birth but nevertheless, she persisted on flashing everyone a smile which earned Louis his respect.

Normally, Helene would be sitting at a corner reading, easily recognised because of the velvet ribbon she wore. The books she read were mainly classic literatures like Austen or Dickens, but she had a peculiar liking for Shakespeare especially. Then one day, Louis took the liberty to approach her. "Good day." He tried to strike up a conversation as he showed her a tiny smile.

She took her gaze away from her book. "Hello there! My name is Helene, yours?" She beamed, and the smile was infectious, at least for Louis. 

"Its Louis. Nice to meet you, Helene." He introduced politely.

"Nice to meet you too, Louis!" She replied excitedly, making a gesture. "Want to sit with me? It is kind of lonely here."

Hearing this, Louis nodded. He later sat next to her and began chatting. That sort of became a routine for both of them until both Helene and her mother had stopped coming to Whitechapel...

"Louis?"

"Oh-yes, brother." Louis replied hastily, catapulted back from the past as he moved his head from the carriage window. After that, he followed his brothers into the Emsworth Estate.

Some women are born to duty like Queen Victoria. Others have duty thrust upon them. Helene Caroline Augusta Emsworth, the niece of Earl Leonard Emsworth, counted herself among the latter group. Both her parents had died around the same time; one by a carriage accident and the other, suicide. Hence, she was taken care of by her father's older brother who was not interested in her, disgusted by her even for the shame her parents had brought to the clan. Despite the fact that her father was the one who had started their law firm which was currently the best in the British Empire, she was still treated as harshly as that of a servant and was constantly being reminded by the countess, Catherine, along with her children.

Growing up in a convent when she was younger, Helene did not really view their treatment harshly since it gave her new perspectives towards society as she was taught to be 'grateful'. However, after she had turned twenty-two, her uncle began urging her to marry by introducing several gentlemen to her. It all ended up as disasters as all of them had either been killed by 'The Phantom', or got scandals attached which was discovered right before finalising an engagement. From the strings of failed marriage proposals, her uncle was getting restless from rage. The reason for his impatience was due to the previous earl's will which allowed Helene to live in the Emsworth Estate until she gets married to some gentleman. That was actually merciful of her paternal grandfather to mention before he passed.