Chapter 1

The Doctor, the Seventh incarnation to take the name, sat back, content in the knowledge that he'd arrived where no one, literally no one this time, had ever been. The end of the universe.

He'd always been interested in seeing it out to the end; he'd put a lot of time into the universe, after all. Of course, now that he was here he'd have to be careful. He didn't want to get trapped in the universe's final contraction. That would be embarrassing.

He read the scanner with a distinct feeling of awe, seeing the mathematical proof that the universe as he knew it no longer existed. It was, right now, only a few hundred light-years in size. It was almost unfathomable, that everything he had seen and done no longer existed. The only proof of it now was in his memories. He supposed that some of his earlier incarnations would have grieved more, but in his mind, everything had its time. It was an eternal cycle and it was the universe's turn to continue the cycle so a new universe could expand and take its place. It was a privilege to see it firsthand. And a responsibility.

"I think we've done well, don't you?" he asked his TARDIS, balancing his umbrella against his shoulder. He heard her hum in gently exasperated patience in his mind and smiled up at the ceiling. "What, I'm only having a little fun! We've never been the last to be anywhere before." The first, yes, to many places. Although, he supposed he was the first to see this as well. First and last, then. How odd.

There was something freeing and bone-deep lonely about being the last person in the entire universe, and the Doctor thought he might set this as one of his favorite destinations in the TARDIS memory. He could use the rest from time to time, a moment alone when the universe and Time itself wasn't depending on him to make things right, or keep things right in spite of how wrong they might appear. He opened the doors onto the deep black color that was the only thing left of the universe and everything in it. It was hard to believe this was it, there would be nothing else until the next universe expanded. He wished he could see it, get to know it as he knew this one.

The TARDIS suddenly rocked to one side, and the Doctor hung onto the doorpost to prevent himself from falling out the open door. He shook his head, closing the doors. "What was that? There isn't even anything to hit into anymore! I nearly fell out."

"Well, you wouldn't have had very far to fall, now would you?" said a voice from behind him. The Doctor turned around, finding himself facing...himself. The other Doctor, the Fourth, grinned widely, pushing his hat out of his eyes. "It's an interesting question, what falling into the edge of the universe would feel like."

The Seventh groaned and rolled his eyes. "It's something I have no intention of testing. What are you doing here?"

"The same as you, I expect," Four answered, holding out his ever-present bag of jelly babies. "I wanted to see what was here."

"But I've never been here before," Seven protested. "I'd remember if I had!"

"Ah, not necessarily," Four answered, eyes widening. "Not if there were more than one of us!"

Seven sighed, "Because the crossing of the time streams means that we're protected from ill effects by not remembering, yes, yes, I know!" He glared at his earlier self irritably. "I came here to be alone, you know."

Four hopped to his feet, "Well, you are alone. There's no one here but you. And me. But we're the same, really. Which one are you?"

"The Seventh. I suppose you're right, thinking about it philosophically," Seven answered. "Does that mean every time I come here, you'll be here too?"

"Very probably," Four said. "Did you ever think the universe was too small to hold all of me? I have."

"Not until now," Seven said under his breath. He moved aside as Four's scarf whipped around and nearly hit him in the face. How had he ever got around with that monstrosity around his neck?

"Do you always cover yourself in question marks?" Four interrupted.
"It's a bit obvious, don't you think?"

Seven glanced down at his vest and umbrella, "Sometimes the obvious is the best defense."

"Warn people off before they get too close?" Four asked knowingly.

"Something like that," Seven answered.

The TARDIS rocked again, and they were both thrown into the wall. "That was what happened before, when you turned up!" Seven said.

Four furrowed his brows in confusion, "But there isn't anything to hit into."

"That's what I said!" Seven answered

"Well, of course that's what you said! I said it!" Four snapped.

Seven rolled his eyes, deciding it wasn't worth his time to answer and they both ran to the console, checking the readings. "Everything seems to be fine."

"Oh, but that doesn't mean anything," Four said.

"Well, no, but I've got nothing to go on," Seven answered.

"Anything I can help with?" a new voice said from behind them. Seven and Four looked at each other, then turned around in unison to see an entirely new Doctor standing there somewhat awkwardly in his cricket jacket and celery.

"Hello," said Four, recovering himself first. "Which one are you?"

"Er, the Fifth," the newcomer said. "And you?"

"Well, this one says he's the Seventh, and you know I'm the Fourth," Four answered, as Seven said, "I am the Seventh!"

"Oh, well, I get to Seven then. That's something," Five said with a smile.
"Now, what are we all doing here? I did think I'd be alone."

Four and Seven glanced at each other. "We were rather hoping you could tell us that," Seven finally said.