4

"I've been going over our finances, and we need money. Like, quite a bit. We're late on our mortgage payments again." Sting told Rogue, Minerva and Yukino as they sat around the table.

The rest of the guild wasn't present.

Rufus was manning the bar upstairs, Dobengal was at his normal job and Orga just hadn't shown up. They might need to look for him soon.

"I suggest a heist!" Rogue said, raising his hand.

"Yes, Rogue, that's what I was getting at. I've been looking at some  of the papers you and Minerva brought me and I think we should try the Bank of Edolas." Sting continued. Rogue's eyes widened with barely contained joy, while Yukino's and Minerva's widened with horror.

The Bank of Edolas was the central bank in Edolas and was located in its capital, which four hours away. It was well guarded and made up of several vaults, some of which required magic to open. The contents of those vaults were lost to all. It had been the second most dangerous place to break into back when magic was present, the first being the royal palace.

Not that it was safe now, of course. On top of the magical traps, which were now inactive, physical traps had been put in place as well. Some could only be deactivated by magic, which caused those vaults to be blocked off as well.

In short, there were only a few vaults accessible to the bankers, let alone the thieves guild.

"Why would you suggest that? Are you insane?" Yukino asked.

"As if there's a question." Minerva added.

"Sounds awesome! Are we going to try to get into some of the lost vaults?" Rogue asked excitedly.

"Rogue, no. Why would we do that?" Sting was starting to see why this might have been a bad idea.

"Because no one would notice." Rogue explained. He then paled.

"Wait, were you suggesting we try to break through hordes of guards to get at a smaller treasure, were you? I thought we were supposed to avoid attention, or does that rule only apply to me?"

"Well, when you put it like that it sounds stupid." Sting admitted.

"That's because it's stupid." Yukino told him.

"So about the lost vaults?" Rogue tried again hopefully.

"No!" the other three shouted.

"Maybe?" Rogue offered.

Minerva facepalmed.

"No, hear me out. We sneak in, however Sting has planned. Then we get an idea of where the vaults are and which ones are guarded by physical traps. I'll break into the bureau of architecture to get the blueprints for the bank, and the traps if they exist. Then we regroup and form a heist plan." Rogue elaborated. Fortunately, Minerva found an argument to counter his plan other than 'That is pure insanity'.

"That would take too long, we need the money soon, not in six months."

Sting and Yukino nodded along. Rogue sighed.

"Then what's your plan, Minerva?" he asked.

"Just rob a normal bank, like normal people." The exasperation was apparent in her voice.

"Yeah, we can do that to solve our current money problems. And then we can do my plan to solve our future money problems!" Rogue agreed.

"Fine." Sting had to admit Minerva's plan was a lot simpler.

But he wanted to step outside of obscurity. He wanted to be known. To matter.