chapter 5: "Two steps behind."

I'll count...

One...

Two...

Three...

All of us are playing a game called 'hide and seek'.

I will hide and you will come to seek...

Let's play this game until we get sick.

***

Joshua lifted the corner of his mouth and mumble under his breath, "Stupid."

The voice wasn't loud and Olivia who was one length away from him clearly heard his words.

She was enraged, kick his legs under the table, "What?!"

She was just being kind and this rogue was badmouthing her?!

Unforgivable!

Joshua was defenseless when he was kick suddenly, he crunched down, hugged his legs and groaned painfully.

"Why did you kick me?!"

"Am I stupid?"

Hearing this, Joshua fell into eerie silence. It seems that he subconsciously said loudly his inner thoughts.

He looked at the girl who was so angry that her face couldn't be looked at directly and wanted to explain himself but before he could do so, he was cut off.

"Then you are stupid too!" Olivia vented her grievance and huffed slightly. When she finally calmed down she let out a 'humph' and ignore his existent.

Joshua was left speechless with wide opened eyes and he didn't what happened still.

Maecy on the table not far away, couldn't help but shake her head helplessly.

Joshua compromised first knowing that Olivia won't give in.

Time is fleeting....

One... Two... Three months until half a year later.

Joshua watch as he, himself was two step behind Olivia.

He watched as the girl who was so proud to lower her head and smiles dazzlingly, her eyes shines so bright that he couldn't looked directly...

It's just that... he wasn't the preparator of all of this.

He... watched as she gives her heart to others.

Just how much he wants to say something and felt reluctance, the pain on his chest was so great that he couldn't breathe.

Unrequited love... He finally knows what it meant.

The regret was overwhelming that sometimes he wants to blame himself... No, he was blaming himself already. Perhaps, if he didn't show cowardice, that position in her heart was his.

He wants to asked her, " Why him? And not himself?" Or " Do you think it worthy?"

But looking at it, you already have your answer do you?

He smiled self deprecatingly but he didn't show it to Olivia.

"What's wrong with you?" Olivia asked Joshua who seems out of frame.

Joshua's acting strange this days. She didn't know what happened but she just felt that maybe it has something to do with her.

But she didn't know how to asked. What if she read it went wrong? Isn't she being egocentric?

Joshua looked at her, opened his mouth and wanted to say something. However, he saw Charles behind Olivia looking at him silently.

Charles nodded and sat besides Olivia, put down the black coffee on his hand, his eyes didn't leave her figure from the beginning to end after looking at him.