Chapter 19

I looked at Nieve as I grabbed Zane's hand. I'd been keeping him as safe as I could, but that wasn't why we were here. This isn't about Zane; my brother, my friend, my Zane. The one I'd been so scared to lose and would have done anything for.

I didn't see Nieve now, instead, she faded to the bleak white blanket that covered his body. Steady, familiar beeps from the machines that surrounded him to keep him alive echoed in my mind as I stared at the cold, limp hand in mine.

"Please save him," I whisper. "I will do anything, parade me down main street and make it official. A life for a life. I don't care. This is my white flag. I give up. Send me back in time again, I won't leave. Whatever it takes. Just, please do this. Please save him."

"Elise?" Zane snaps me out of my thoughts, my shield barely enough as Nieve ups her attack with new brutality. "Elise!"

I look at Zane's hand in mine; dirty, bloody, hot. My grip tightens, and I feel him hold onto me just as tight. He has a role to play. We all do. I see Nieve through the smoke and the brightness of the light surrounding her, sensing her frustration and desperation - emotions I refuse to let out.

My head had never been clearer.

"I love you, you know that right?" He looks confused, not even flinching as the ground shakes and fiery embers rain down from above as Nieve works at cracking the new shield I have over us.

"Of course."

He is my Guardian and I am the Empress.

Zane and Elise can't exist here.

I nod, blinking away the tears that came on their own as I let him go. We don't get to show weakness. To prove my point I hold my sword tight, feeling it connect to me as if we were the same despite the tremor of effort that ran up my arm and sent the nerves in my wounded shoulder into a spasm.

The ground trembled and this time it was because I made it do so. I dug deep, tugging at every thread I could until it threatened to break into two and swallow her whole. The earth reacted more than I anticipated, beyond the dirt and soil but deeper where the blood spilled eventually settled and spirits that were forever trapped stirred as they recognised her as one of their own. A tortured soul who would never know peace. I may have war in my blood but it would not trap me how her delusions trapped her.

I released her fate from their bindings and glared at Nieve, wondering if she saw the same madness in my eyes I saw in hers or if she knew what I was about to do next. I did spot the second she realised my shield was gone, only before she could strike, it began to rain in the same demented way Enyo had done. Thick, red drops that stuck in your hair and smeared on your face fell around us. Excitement grew as the shadows that slipped around by our feet were that of the ghosts that bided their time. For the first time, I wanted her to see what I could do and know how wrong about me she had been in every way. She thought I'd burn the world down? I'd make it bleed first and enjoy every drop. As bad as she thought I could be, I'd be worse.

Nieve's hands instantly reached out to touch it, and even Zane paused - distracted by what was happening. I only saw her, the flicker of disgust and wonder at what was happening as I started to move, bracing myself for her next attack. The smell of blood made my stomach churn, while memories of the ones that had died here threatened to grab hold and haunt me with each step I took. The pain in my shoulder matched the throbbing in my side, much like the ache in my chest at what was coming.

I kept myself clean and protected.

Determined.

Flawless.

Nieve smiled, licking her lips so a red smear covered her crooked teeth. There was a smugness there, a confidence as we paired off against one another once again.