chapter twelve ✧ lumos

Headmaster Hecat's training had been far more intense than when they were students. Although Sebastian couldn't help but wonder if dueling had always been as tiring or if he really just was rusty from years of not practicing. 

After they had apparated back to the Undercroft, both men were expecting to be punished not only for trespassing on the school's grounds but also for hiding the young missing witch Annabel Gaunt. It had been Amit and Poppy who explained the situation to the Headmaster before their arrival and found an overlapping interest. 

Dinah Hecat was simply put, not fond of Marvolo Gaunt's takeover of the Ministry of Magic. 

While the Headmaster was still koi about the extent of her motivation, it was a blessing for the group of former students. And the offer to hide away long in the castle was not even up for debate. 

Over the course of a few days, Sebastian was finally picking up the pace and his magic felt like his own again. His body wasn't cold anymore and his focus was sharper. But that alone wasn't going to be enough to defeat Marvolo Gaunt. 

"Posture, Minister Sallow," Hecat corrected him.

Sebastian straightened his back as he continued to block the spells hurling toward him. Although it had already been a long day of practicing. His back quickly softened and tired instantly after attempting to adjust.

"Serpensortia," Ominis hissed as he created a large snake that lunged violently toward him.

This time Sebastian had been more prepared, he burned the beast away and didn't stop to fall for the Parseltongue trick as he continued to fill the classroom with flames.

"Enough with the bloody snakes please," Sebastian begged breathlessly.

"That's enough from both of you for today," Hecat dismissed.

It was a slight relief that washed over his body having finally been dismissed. Unfortunately, he had fallen for the trap when Ominis landed a Stupefy Spell and knocked him to the ground. 

The first lesson in dueling that he ever learned was to not put his guard down and somehow he still was working on relearning that one.

Ominis Gaunt was the only person who really ever gave him a challenge when they were students. Mostly for the fact that he had spent years refusing to duel with him. He always resented the idea of being viewed as violent or cruel like the rest of his family and would simply avoid it at all costs. Despite being blind, he was still a Gaunt, and they had always been more powerful than most other pureblood families.

"You let your guard down again," Ominis teased as he helped him back up.

"I know, I know," Sebastian admitted.

"You're doing much better now," The friend praised, "But you won't win if you don't tap into Amelia's magic."

"Again, I know," He answered back, frustrated.

Sebastian had her magic and even her wand, but it wasn't enough. Amelia's ancient magic was as unpredictable and impulsive as she had been. It had been days since he had experienced the burst of magic that saved his life. 

And she hadn't visited his dreams since the memory of the Undercroft. So many days passed that Sebastian was beginning to silently worry that he had been wrong about the dreams.

He kept reminding himself of what she had told him all of those years ago. She tried to train him years ago on how to cast the ancient magic, but it still felt unnatural to him even now. It was difficult to clear his mind of any intentions in the middle of a duel and focus on the magic building inside.