8

Iris and Wednesday entered a cute-looking coffee shop, and walked up to the boy behind the counter, just as the machine let off another bout of steam.

"Holy crap!" He cried upon seeing them, "Do you both make a habit of scaring the hell out of people?"

"It's more of a hobby." Wednesday replied.

"For her, not for me. I don't really care, but it is quite fun." Iris said, a smile on her face. This boy did seem quite nice.

"You both go to Nevermore." He stated, casting a glance at their uniforms, "Didn't realize they changed the uniform."

"I need a quad over ice. And an iced coffee." Wednesday ordered, "It's an emergency."

The bot hesitated, looking at his steaming machine. "It's four shots of espresso and coffee with ice."

"Yeah, I... I know what a quad and an iced coffee is, but, spoiler alert, the espresso machine's having a seizure, so all we have is drip." He replied.

"But drip is for people how hate themselves and know their lives have no real purpose or meaning." Wednesday said, and the three glanced over at the man who was currently using the drip. He set down his cup and the drip, walking away, "What's wrong with you machine?"

"It's a temperamental beast with a mind of its own, and it doesn't help that the instructions are in Italian." The boy said. Wednesday walked around the side of the counter, taking the instructions from him and quickly reading through them.

"I need a tri-wing screwdriver and a four-millimeter Allen wrench." She finally said.

"Wait, you read Italian?"

"Of course. It's the native tongue of Machiavelli." Wednesday replied, "Here's the deal. I'm going to fix your coffee machine, then you're going to make my coffee and call a taxi."

Iris stood up straighter at that, looking at her sister. The plan was to get out of the therapy session, not leave Jericho. Besides, Iris quite liked it here.

"Uh, no taxis in Jericho. Try Uber?"

"I don't have a phone, and neither does Iris. I refuse to be a slave to technology." Wednesday said as she tightened so screws in the espresso machine.

Little did Wednesday know, was that Iris ahd been saving up for a while now to get herself a phone, refusing to succumb to her sister's rules in their house anymore, and she was buying one next week so she could begin getting closer with a specific blonde.

"Then you're out of luck." The boy said helpfully, "Where are you both going anyway?"

"That's on a need-to-know basis. What about trains?"

"Nearest station is Burlington. It's half an hour away."

"You have a valve issue. I've seen it before."

"Where? You have one of these monsters at home?"

"Steam-powered guillotine. She built it when she was 10. Wanted to decapitate her dolls more efficiently." Iris said, and the boy glanced at her, then back at Wednesday, a look of shock on his face.

"Sure. Grim Reaper Barbie, makes perfect sense."

The steam began to subside, and the machine was up and running again. "Wow. Thanks. I never met a Nevermore kid who got their hands dirty." He placed the top of the machine back on, a clanking noise happening, "I'm Tyler, by the way. I didn't catch your names, or is that on a need-to-know basis too?"

Wednesday eyed him up and down, before saying, "Wednesday. And that's Iris." Iris gave him a little wave, which he returned.

"Tell you what, Wednesday, Iris, to show my appreciation, how 'bout I drive you both to Burlington myself?"

"Perfect." Wednesday said, "Put those drinks into a to-go cup."

"Uh, I don't get off for another hour." Tyler said.

Wednesday held up some money that their father had given her, "I'll sweeten the pot."

"Twenty whole dollars... tempting, but no." Tyler declined.

Wednesday pulled out another twenty, "I'll make it 40."

"Uh, listen, Wednesday, one fun fact about me, I can't be bought. So, either wait, or find someone else to drive you."

Wednesday eyed him up and down, before, exhaling harshly and pulling her sister over to sit in a booth.

"Pensavo che stessimo appena uscendo dalla terapia, non da tutta la città!" Iris whisper-yelled to her. (I thought we were getting out of therapy, not the whole ass town!).

"Partivano. Vieni o no?" Wednesday said. (We're leaving. Are you coming or not?)

"You are unbelievable." Iris scoffed, "Cerchi sempre di controllare la mia vita, ma ho finito. Sei proprio come la mamma." Getting up from her seat and leaving the cafe, passing a group of boys dressed as pilgrims, one of them cat-calling her as she passed. (You always try and control my life, but I'm done. You're just like Mother.)

Irus wasn't sure where she was going, so she just decided to head back to Weems' car, seeing her talking to Kinbott. Weems spotted her, briskly walking over, and grabbing her arm.

"What were you thinking? I was worried sick!" She cried. But once she caught sight of Iris' downcast look, she was more concerned, "What happened, little one?" She asked in a softer tone.

Iris just shook her head, folding her arms across her body, and Weems pulled her into a gentle hug. Iris was a little taken aback at the contact, but soon melted into the hug.

It wasn't like her mother had hugged her willingly like this before anyway.

Weems caught sight of the sheriff walking into the Weathervane, and spotted the all-too familiar all-black uniform.

"Come on." She said, ushering Iris towards that shop she had just left.

When they walked in, they were greeted with the pilgrim boys from earlier groaning in pain on the floor, and the sheriff standing beside Tyler, glaring at Wednesday.

--------

989 words

heyy guys...

been a while, huh?

pls don't be mad🫶