The Beginning Of The Story

In the peaceful village of Salem, Massachusetts, in the year 1653, the townsfolk are going about their day, mingling with one another. But the peacefulness was interrupted when one teenage townsfolk, in particular, was charging and pushing her way through the people. Her name is Winnifred Sanderson.

"Out of my way!" Winnifred cried out as she pushed past a man.

A group of young children smiled as they held hands and danced in a circle. But they were in Winnifred's way.

"Move!" Winnifred pushed through the children, ending their fun.

The teenage Winnifred continues shoving past her fellow townsfolk as she breaths angrily. The girl knocks over buckets and people to the ground. One woman had the sense of returning inside her home moments after leaving when Winnifred walked past her. Several men, women, and children gasped at the rudeness of Winnifred Sanderson as she stormed through their quiet, little village. Some wondered how the youngest Sanderson could be related to the angry red-haired teenage girl walking past them.

Winnifred pushes through a group of men before storming into her home. As Winnifred slams the door shut and removes her bonnet, she sees her three younger sisters' cheerful faces as they hold a banner that says "Bless-ed Birthe Day". Winnifred Sanderson is the eldest of four girls at the age of sixteen. Her sisters are by age: Mary at fifteen, Sarah at fourteen, and Lydia at thirteen. The four Sanderson sisters had been mostly on their own since their parents died.

"This is the worst day of my life," Winnifred grunted.

Mary, Sarah, and Lydia quickly and messily folded the banner. The three knew their sister needed cheering up since no one should be sad or angry on their birthday.

"But, Winnie, look what we have made," Sarah said, drawing her sister's attention to the red gelatinous shape on the table. I discovered if thou doth grind pig's hooves and mix it with water, it creates mysterious goo. Then Mary had the wonderful idea to mix a drop of goat's blood. And look. It jiggleth. Here."

Young Sarah giggles when she repeatedly pokes the gelatin, causing it to jiggle. Young Mary and Lydia join their sister's giggling.

"Taste this, Winnie. 'Tis divine!" Mary exclaimed.

"I cannot eat. I am too troubled," Winnifred told her sisters as she threw her bonnet aside and began pacing.

"What hast caused thee to be upset?" Lydia inquired. "Didst the Turner boys lock thee in the hay barrack again?"

"Worse. I've been told I'm getting... old, and I must marry..." Winnifred revealed, causing her sisters to gasp at the shocking sentence. The eldest sister finishes her sentence and informs her sisters who she must marry, "...John Pritchett."

Mary, Sarah, and Lydia gasp again in shock while their oldest sister gags in disgust at the idea of being married to John Pritchett.

"Reverend Traske arranged it. He said it was his duty since father died," Winnifred added.

"Didst thee say no?" Sarah asked her sister

"Of course. Then I took the Lord's name in vain twice," Winnifred said with a wicked and pleased smile. Mary, Sarah, and Lydia chuckled with glee at their sister's actions.

"Thou art most wicked, Winnie," Mary commented.

"Only a truly wretched man can make me say such things," Winnifred explained before grabbing a plate off the table and throwing it to the ground, shattering it.

"It was my favorite plate," Sarah whimpered.

"There, there, there, Winnie," Mary comforted her sister. "Let us forget the Reverend and John Pritchett."