Chapter 8

Michael Olson was picking up their food from the Chinese café in town when he bumped into Norma. She was sitting at one of the tables with its small town plastic tablecloths and enjoying the evening smorgasbord with three other ladies that couldn't mind their own business. Michael knew his mom couldn't stand Norma Bjornholm, but they were the only table in the restaurant and he knew he had to be friendly and charming or he'd hear about it later.

Michael was leaning on the counter of the cash register as he turned and greeted the ladies, "Girls night out I see. You girls better behave or they'll throw you out of here." They all giggled and shooed Michael's silly comment away with their heavily ringed hands. That should do it, Michael thought as he turned back to the cash register, straining his neck to try and see what the hold up with his food was in the kitchen. Where is my food, he was starting to get anxious as he felt the four sets of eyes watching him.

Michael was starting to feel like the silence that had fallen on the single occupied table in the restaurant indicated that they had something to say. He heard someone clear their throats, "So, I guess you're going to really miss your wife next year?" All four ladies studied his reaction. "What'd you mean?" Michael wasn't fully attention leaning into the kitchen doorway to see if anyone was coming with his food. "Well, when she's in Regina next year continuing her education. "Regina?" Michael's brow furrowed and his eyebrows pulled together. Norma continued as her audience continued to watch Michael. "Her program requires her to go to Regina for her first year Michael. I know it's only two hours away, but I'm sure you'll notice her absence."

Michael searched his brain for any recollection of Sharon telling him that she would be moving to Regina for the year. What the Hell? Does this mean she won't be getting paid? Questions continued to roll through his mind and his omission of any response was a hit with the table of cronies. The four ladies leaned into a huddle at their table. Michael was completely oblivious, lost in his own thoughts as Norma announced to the table, "Oh, looks like someone's been keeping secrets." The other three ladies were wide-eyed with scandal. They could talk about this for weeks!

Michael was still standing in the exact same spot as he had been when Norma had caught him off guard with her question. She would know, she was on the school board. Michael wasn't hearing anything but his own voice in his head. His concentration was broken when a brown paper bag was suddenly in his arms. Warm against his forearms and chest, the smell of ginger rising with the steam of the freshly cooked food Michael shook the questions loose from his mind. He turned on his heel without a word and walked out of the restaurant and slid behind the wheel of his truck. It wasn't until he was halfway home that he finally realized that he had forgotten to pay for his food.

...

Amanda Skjoberg was filling a basin with warm water as Sharon Olson knocked twice on the storm door of Amanda's make-shift spa that she ran out of her home before letting herself in. The entire basement of her home had been transformed from a frumpy rumpus room with dark wood paneling to a tranquil oasis with serene green walls and soft lighting. Amanda had taken a risk opening her salon in such a small town the previous year, pouring all her savings and sweat creating this space out of nothing.

A year later Amanda had hired two other local women and added a tanning bed and if everything kept going her way she dreamed of moving her business to main street and expanding the business. Amanda smiled and greeted Sharon warmly as she sat down in one of her comfy chairs removing and balling up her socks. Not only was Sharon one of Amanda's best customers, she had also become a close friend. Amanda placed the basin of warm water at Sharon's feet as Sharon rolled up her pant legs and tentatively dipped the tips of her toes into the water testing the temperature before committing to a full plunge.