Chapter 1: Meet-Cute

How did I get here? How did my cousin somehow convince me to get dragged along to this event of hers when I barely know who these people are. I'm not caught up with kpop the same way my cousin is, AJ is always in the loop while I'm more of a casual listener who's in and out of the loop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No. Absolutely not." I straightforwardly say

"Why not?!?" my cousin huffs at my response.

"I don't know these people AJ, I get that you want to go but I can't always be your chaperone to these K-pop events- especially this one!"

"But-"

"No." An exasperated groan escapes my cousin's mouth. 

"This is different. I don't care what you told your mum, but you're just gonna have to tell tita that I said no and I'm not taking you across the world just to see your K-pop boys."

"Ok first of all, they're not Korean and second of all, heck no!"

I furrow my eyebrows in frustration, rubbing the space between them.

"AJ, what did you-"

"I can't refund the tickets. They're already bought." Silence fills the room as I blankly look at my cousin. I don't even know how AJ gets all this money to fund her kpop endeavours and honestly I'm scared to ask- they're always tryna go to concerts and will travel long distance just to see their faves. Kudos to her. If I really wanted to,  I would but I am very much content with the casual and chill kinda lifestyle- THAT's the kinda stan I am. 

"Ate." AJ pokes me and I snap back to reality. AJ sighs.

"I know you aren't really interested but please at least try and make an effort? I really want to go see these people and I really appreciate you being here with me. You're my best friend." And there she goes pulling out the best friend card.

"So, you REALLY want to go?" I raise an eyebrow and AJ enthusiastically nods her head at me like an obedient puppy, gosh my cousin was such kpop trash but she was adorable nevertheless and I could never say no to her. Besides, not all the concerts and fanmeets she's dragged me to were all THAT bad- and sometimes I discover some new music and groups too so I guess it's a win-win for both of us. 

"Duh, so pleaseeeee? I promise this will be the last time I drag you to one of these things." I scoff at their response. 

"You said that last time, and the time before that and-"

"Ok so I might have lied... but I promise that THIS will be THE last time! So come on, please Ate El?" I groan in exasperation at AJ's continuous pleading.

"You're not gonna stop until I say yes huh?"

"Nope." I sigh, internally accepting my fate.

"Fine, you win." She always does. I tilt my head back, smirking to myself. An excited shriek fills my ears.

"FOR REAL?!?" followed by a bunch of claps and excited cheers and then I zoned out. In the wise words of a certain Mark Lee, this was gonna be a long ass ride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One plane ride and a few days later....

"Yo, you gonna linger outside using your phone or are you actually gonna...?" A voice interrupts me, and I look up from my phone to see a handsome, brunette male raising one eyebrow at me. He must be a fan of the same people AJ keeps mentioning.

"Oh no, I'm sorry I'm just waiting - my cousin went to the CR- uh I mean toilet umm I mean-" the stranger chuckles and I mentally curse myself for being super nervous in front of a stranger. An attractive stranger at that. (CR= comfort room)

"It's ok, I was just teasing." I blush in embarrassment. Great, so much for a first impression- and in front of a hottie too.

"Oh, I see." I blankly say, internally kicking myself. 

"You're quite a nervous one huh? First time at one of these shows?" I could hear the smirk in his voice. 

"Yep. Crowds aren't really my thing- I'm just here to support my cousin, that's all."  I shrug nonchalantly. 

"Your cousin?"

"Yeah... They're the one that dragged me out here to come and watch these two guys she likes perform. I don't really know much about them or their music but you know, first time for everything I guess." I manage to give a slight smile, finally striking up a conversation with the male. Gosh, he is so fine. 

"Huh, interesting. You have no idea who these artists look like or what kind of music they do?"

"Not really, from what my cousin's showed me there's this one dude called Beomhan and his friend-"

"EL!" I hear the voice of my cousin, snapping my attention back to them. She waves in my direction.

"Oh AJ! Took you long enough- oh hey I think I found another fan!" Excited to get out of the social interaction, I turn to the male before quickly realising one important detail. But before I was about to ask, the unnamed male speaks.

"So this is your cousin then?" He turns to AJ with a warm smile "Athena, always nice to see you again" Again?

"Ah, so you've met my cuz already!- oh Ate El, this is-"

"Jay! C'mon man we start in five!" So that was his name, Jay. Another male voice enters the fray. The male, Jay, sighs and waves as he departs from us-walking towards the direction from which he was summoned.

"Well then, I guess I'll see you guys during the show." He gives us a wink before smiling, his eyes disappearing. Damn he has an attractive af smile. I look to my left to see AJ saluting the stranger. Huh. I am knocked out of my thoughts with a hard nudge from said cousin.

"Wow Ate, check you out." AJ wiggles their eyebrows, grinning. I'm confused.

"Huh? What do you mean."

"Dude, you know who that was right?" I don't answer, keeping my focus on him from a distance-the boy with the fluffy hair and handsome grin. He was talking to someone- another male.

"Uh Ate El?" A poke on my shoulder brings me back to reality. 

"Oh what? Did you say something AJ?" I sense her following my trail of gaze, landing on-

"Cat got your tongue huh?" I turn my attention to AJ. She gestures towards him and smirks.

"Him? That's the other guy I was telling you about, Jay. Jay Chang."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jay, Jay Chang. He's the one I met by the bathroom. His name fills my head and he's all I can fixate on during the show. His vocals, his talent. I can just see the star quality exuding off of him.

"How many of you guys are familiar with Daniel Ceasar?" A few unsure yesses erupt from the crowd- a few songs in and Jay gets out an electric guitar and sits on a stool. 

"Uh this is a little song - umm, one of my most favourite and definitely an inspiration for another song that I wrote, this one is called Japanese Denim." I had listened to the song once or twice before in my life- when it came up randomly on Spotify and decided to check it out. It was pretty good. I smile, briefly making eye contact with him as he looks upon the crowd while doing his little ment. He finally strums on his guitar and I am mesmerised. His vocals are ethereal and I am caught in a daze. He is such an incredible artist and musician and I just know he'll go far. I can't wait to see where life takes this boy.  

~~~