Chapter 29

JACE

Today was the day Callum and Lauren were leaving for their getaway. Callum would propose to Lauren a few days into the trip, and I was happy for them. Now, I had to figure out how to propose to Abby. Not yet, because I knew she would want her nose healed. Lauren even told me last night not to think about proposing with those bruises under her eyes. She said she'd hurt me if I did such a thing. I wasn't going to do anything like that anyway. Even though I'm a guy, I do have some sense.

When the girls were dropped off at our house that afternoon when preschool and regular school were out, I realized that school was over and wouldn't start again until August. Bella was now a kindergartner, Rose a second grader, and Mia a fifth grader. That also meant Abby's twenty-second birthday was less than two months away. That would be the perfect time to propose. Or too soon? We hadn't even been dating for a year.

My thoughts were interrupted when the girls came running into the living room, laughing and chasing each other. So much energy. "Uncle Jace, can we go out for dinner? I want to eat chicken nuggets from Chick-fil-A," Rose asked.

I laughed and glanced over at Abby. "I don't know. I think you'll have to ask Abby and see if she wants to go. She has a broken nose and might not want to go out for everyone to see," I said.

Abby smiled. "Yeah, girls, I don't know about going out. I'm okay with getting Chick-fil-A, though. How about ordering to-go food?"

The girls cheered with excitement. "Alright, who wants to go with me to get it?" One by one, each girl raised their hand. "Oh boy, this should be fun." I kissed Abby on the cheek and loaded the kids into the car. I felt like a real dad. One day, I hoped to be.

ABBY

While Jace and the girls were gone, I wiped the dining room table down. They'd been using crayons and coloring books earlier. The table was surprisingly free of crayon marks but also needed to be wiped down from their snack.
When they got back, the girls were all happy, holding drinks in their hands. It wasn't any drink. It was a milkshake.

"Oh no, Jace, they're going to be high on sugar all night now!"

Jace chuckled. "I know, but I'm the uncle. I can spoil the kiddos now and then. Plus, they won't tell Lauren, right?"

Rose nodded. "Our lips are sealed! Thanks, Uncle Jace!"

I smiled as the girls happily sat at the dining room table to eat dinner. They all had chicken nuggets with French fries, whereas Jace and I had chicken sandwiches, fries, and sweet teas.

After eating, the girls leaned back in their chairs as they finished their milkshakes. "I'm so full," Mia said. She pushed back her food, making Jace and I chuckle. "Can I save it for tomorrow?"

I nodded. "You sure can." I put the leftover food in the refrigerator and then had an idea. "Would you girls want to watch a movie before bed?" I asked.

Their faces lit up, and I moved to the living room to put on a kid's movie. Jace came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me.

"Want to watch a movie down the hall in my room while they watch theirs? We can cuddle," Jace said.

I giggled. "That sounds nice." I glanced back at the girls. Bella was half asleep, and the others were entirely invested in the movie. Things would be fine. Jace and I went to his room, where he picked out an action movie I'd never seen—extraction with Chris Hemsworth. For being a girl who loves romantic comedies and not action movies, this particular movie was pretty good. I may become an action genre fan.

Once the movie was over, I fell asleep on Jace for a little bit but was woken up by the sound of the bedroom door opening. It was Rose, she was holding a teddy bear and looked sad. I sat up, careful not to wake Jace. "Rose, sweetheart, what's the matter? Shouldn't you be asleep on the couch with Mia and Bella?"

Rose crawled onto the bed and sat beside Jace and me. "I couldn't fall asleep. I kept overthinking."

Jace woke up, and his eyes met mine when he saw Rose snuggling between us under the covers. "Rose, what's wrong?" Jace asked.

Rose made eye contact with Jace, and tears streamed down her face. "Is it true my daddy is dead?" She asked.

I froze. If Rose knew I killed her father, she'd be devastated even if he did harm her before. Eli was her father; his abusing her didn't change that.

"Where did you hear that kiddo?" Jace asked.

"I overheard Mommy crying in her bedroom last night. Callum told her everything would be okay and to let it all out. Mom said, 'Eli is gone, and I know he can't hurt us, but what if Rose asks about him? What am I supposed to say to her? The truth? That's he's dead?'"

"Rose, you know your daddy did some bad things in his life. He hurt your mom and you. He even hurt us and your uncle, Shane. Your daddy broke Abby's nose."

Rose glanced at me and held my hand. "I'm sorry, Abby. I didn't know he broke your nose. He broke my wrist one time," she said sadly.

"Sweetie, it's okay. It's not your fault. Your daddy needed some help," I said.

"He is dead though, isn't he?" Rose asked. "I don't want him to hurt anyone ever again. I wish he would've never hurt us."

Jace nodded. "He is gone. Your dad won't ever hurt you or anyone again. You know your mom will take care of you, and so will Callum. Abby and I will, too. We love you." Jace kissed Rose on the top of her head, and she smiled. "You are the best present your daddy ever gave me. You made me an uncle. That's the one good thing he did."

"I am pretty great, aren't I?" We all laughed. "Okay, I guess I'll go to bed now. Abby looks pretty sleepy."

I yawned right after Rose said that. "I am tired. You must be, too. Get some sleep, kid. We love you."

"I love you too." Rose closed our door shut.

"She doesn't need to know what happened to him," Jace said.

"She'll find out one day that I'm the one who killed her father regardless of what he has and hasn't done. Jace, I did a horrible thing and won't forget that."

Jace grabbed my hands. "You may not forget what you did, but promise me you'll remember that you are why I'm still alive today. Abby, you saved my life. You were there right when I needed you."

Tears formed in my eyes. "I guess that makes us even then. You saved me, and I saved you." Jace pulled me in close, and we fell asleep in each other's arms.