𝟏.𝟏

The breakfast room buzzed with the clinking of cutlery and the low hum of conversations

The breakfast room buzzed with the clinking of cutlery and the low hum of conversations. Kit, determined to escape the clutches of extended pleasantries, hurriedly finished her meal. She skillfully evaded her mother's attempts at engaging in prolonged discussions, a talent her twin brother, ever the smooth talker, effortlessly mastered.

Kit's keen eyes, however, caught the subtle glances her brother exchanged with a young, blonde kitchen maid. She rolled her eyes at his predictable antics. With her food consumed and still no sign of Lyra, Kit decided to move on. She headed towards the training grounds, her anticipation for the day's training session overriding any lingering concerns about the new lady's maid.

Her footsteps echoed as she made her way to the grounds, her mind a whirlwind of excitement and focus. Upon arrival, she spotted Jade, already immersed in her training with a wooden dummy. A grin lit up Kit's face as she greeted her friend.

"Morning!" Kit's voice sang out cheerfully. "Ready for me to beat you... again?" she teased, her confidence apparent.

"Perhaps today might be my day, Princess," Jade replied, her tone light-hearted, her eyes sparkling with challenge.

Just as they were about to engage in their friendly spar, a voice interrupted their preparations.

"Half an hour, Your Highness!" the cry rang out, capturing their attention. Kit and Jade turned to see Lyra approaching, her steps determined. Jade burst into laughter, leaving Kit perplexed.

"What's so funny?" Kit inquired, a quizzical expression furrowing her brow. Lyra had now joined their little circle.

"I can't believe you're still traumatized by that," Jade teased, her laughter barely contained.

"Shut up, Jade!" Lyra retorted, her voice a blend of humor and mock indignation. "I was mortified."

Recognition dawned on Kit's face. "Oh!" she exclaimed, connecting the dots. "Are you guys talking about when she threw up?" Kit burst into laughter, joining the amused trio.

The sun cast a warm golden glow over the training ground, where Kit and Jade stood facing each other, swords in hand. Lyra's unexpected revelation about her past embarrassment lingered in the air, adding an odd sense of camaraderie between the girls. Jade's eyebrows lifted in genuine surprise at Lyra's openness, her voice carrying a blend of amusement and incredulity. "You told her?" Jade's laughter mixed with the sounds of training, creating a lively atmosphere.