16: 'There's a problem'

Jay needed to get to the dorms. He had thought that maybe if he ignored how urgent Jungwon was to leave then his worry would go, too. False. The minutes passing by poured weight to his apprehension and he decided to leave.

"Woah. Jay where are you going?" Jake had asked him when he noticed Jay jogging down the stairs of the building.

Not now. The way he and the others were gathered on the stairs kept him from descending any further. "I need to go back to the dorms," He answered quickly.

"What about Jungwon? You drove him so why isn't he with you?" Sunoo question as he leaned over. He peaked behind Jay's back to make sure of it.

Jay sucked his teeth. His grip on the small bag tightened and he shook his head. He couldn't do this. Something felt wrong and he needed to go back to the dorms as soon as possible. "He left a while ago. He used a taxi--just...I need to go back to the dorms okay?"

"What happened?" Sunghoon asked. This time looking just as confused. He was the one that left the two together anyway. A part of him made him feel like he had something to do with it. Sunoo tapped his shoulder. He looked his way, but Sunoo only shook his head.

"Just go Jay. It may be important so just get there as soon as possible if you think something is up. Thanks for the hangout, okay?" Sunoo said.

Jay nodded. Thump. He was uncomfortably conscious of his heartbeat. Why does it feel like something's going wrong? Everything was going so well so why was this happening? At times like this, he wanted nothing more than to have his premonition proved wrong. It didn't matter how. "Alright. I'll get going then," he said.

Despite the confusion or their concern, his friends stepped out of the way. They would probably ask Sunoo about it later or leave it. Whatever they would do, it didn't matter to Jay. Truly it was the least of his worries.

Who did Jungwon talk to? Jay felt like he was losing himself getting concerned so easily. What did they talk to him about? He internally battled against his own thoughts. Why did he rush back to the dorms so fast? He could be overthinking it like how he sometimes did things, but he knew for sure this wasn't a case of that. Something was going wrong.

Jay made his way down the stairs as quickly as possible. Though, he was sure not to trip over himself. The temperature was getting noticeably colder and maybe that aided his apprehension as well. It was night, the sky growing dark and the chill more prominent, everything to make him worry.

And Jay was now alone in the building. The reverberating sound of his footsteps against the building floors enough to sink his heart. He would make a fool of himself if all this was, was just a result of his excessive thinking.

Jay looked over to an empty passenger seat when he got back into his car. It only made it worse. He was used to driving by himself, it was his car after all; all he really did was drive himself from place to place and sometimes his friends too. But now it was odd because Jungwon wasn't in it.

Jungwon wasn't in the passenger seat. He wasn't looking out the window while probably commenting on random things or just staying silent. It was just Jay returning by himself when before he was with him.

Jay had to find an answer somehow, and there was only one way to. So he put an end to his thinking and relied on his impulse. Invigorating it was when his hand touched the cold steering wheel. The silence was now acquainted with the thrum in his chest.

Jay had to get back to the dorms.