Chapter twelve

Thousands of stars decorated the night sky. Millions of tiny, shimmering dots in the black sea. There was a pleasant breeze. Amaya lay in the cool grass and watched the stars. She even saw one fall. It was only a split second. A blink and it was gone again. Her white tail cut through the darkness of the sky. It was just one shooting star, and yet it was able to bring joy to her heart like nothing else.

Music and joyful laughter from the celebration sounded in the background. She heard the fireworks being announced. Amaya was looking forward to it. It's been years since she last saw it. Since the start of the war and since she became King Damon's bride, the Golden City had been a sad place. Amaya lay on the ground waiting for the beauty.

Fireworks wailed into the black skies. There was a deafening explosion like a cannon. In that, colorful sparkles appeared in the sky. They expanded and expanded until they merged with the darkness again. More and more appeared. All kinds of colors. Red, blue, gold, green... Fiery flowers lit up the night sky.

Her view of the fireworks was blocked by a figure in a white dress. Amaya sat up to see her better. She recognized her blond hair. She was the concubine who desired the prince so much.

"Would you like something?" Amaya cut the silence between them as she remained silent.

"I have brought you wine, Your Highness," spoke the concubine.

"I'm not Your Highness," Amaya said with a smile. "But what should I call you?"

"My name is Yazmin," she replied. "However, Your Highness will soon be out of you, as you have charmed Prince Ciaran."

"Witches do that," Amaya said with a mischievous smile on her lips, remembering her words in the harem.

Yazmin knew what Amaya was getting at. "I want to apologize to you," she said. "I was wrong about you. You're not a bad witch."

Yazmin handed Amaya the glass of wine she had brought for her. "For reconciliation."

Amaya accepted her offer of peace. She put the glass of wine to her lips, but in that moment she heard that familiar, quiet voice speaking to her from another world.

"Don't drink it!" he said.

Amaya was stunned. She felt a bitter-sweet smell in her nose. I know the smell. She knew it.

"Flowers of shades of night," said the still small voice.

Amaya stood up and handed the glass back to Yazmin.

"Drink," she told her.

Yazmin stared at her uncomprehendingly. She hesitantly took a step back from her. Amaya heard her pulse quicken. Although she tried to appear calm on the outside, her eyes betrayed her concern.

"Thank you, but I have my own," said Yazmin.

"That wasn't a request," Amaya said.

"You're not my princess yet, so I don't have to obey," Yazmin said with defiance in her voice.

A mischievous smile bloomed on Amaya's lips. She always liked it when they resisted.

"You'd make a good sacrifice," Amaya said ominously. "Keres would like you."

"You are a perverted witch," Yazmin said without hiding her fear.

"No, I'm not a witch. I am something much worse."

Amaya grabbed her wrist. Yazmin wanted to break away from her, but her grip was tight. She dug her nails into her flesh. Amaya delved into the depths of her mind. Her eyes turned white. She was in a trance.