Chapter fourteen

"General Adrien plans to capture those who are to kidnap you from here," said Ciaran.

"Technically it's not kidnapping if they're counting on me going willingly," Amaya argued. "You kidnapped me."

Ciaran approached Amaya. He rested his hands on the table at her sides. He closed her as if in a cage. He looked deep into her eyes. Amaya's heart raced. She held her breath.

"But you wouldn't go with them willingly," said Ciaran.

Amaya nodded her head. "They would have to tie me up," she said. "And I would still defend myself with my whole being."

"I would never let them take you away." Ciaran gently brushed her hair behind her ear.

General Marcellus entered the room. Amaya and Ciaran didn't move from each other.

"Have you told her she's supposed to be bait?" he said.

"Bait?" Amaya looked at the prince.

"General Adrien wants you to follow instructions and pretend you want to escape when the time comes. Whoever they sent for you, they will be careful. They won't all show up at once, and the general wants you to lead us to them," replied Ciaran.

"It's a trap," Amaya said. "He'll accuse me of actually trying to escape."

"I won't let him," said Ciaran.

"We'll see, but he will surely try," said General Marcellus.

"What does that message actually say?" Amaya wondered.

Ciaran walked around the desk and pulled out the message carried by the falcon from the drawer. He handed it to her. Amaya looked at the words written on the small piece of paper. She recognized the script it was written in. She knew who wrote it.

The message said: When the new moon comes, look to the north and look for a lantern in the sky. Follow the light. We will be waiting for you.

"Everything alright?" the general asked as he noticed Amaya's face gone pale.

"I know who wrote it," she replied. "It's from the commander."

Both the General and Ciaran looked at her inquisitively.

"He trained me," Amaya said.

"So he's to blame for you defeating every one of our soldiers?" Ciaran laughed.

"She's just lucky," said the general.

"For the most part," Amaya said. "I was taught to fight by the commander, but to win by the Shadow King."

"The Shadow King?" General Marcellus wondered. "Do you know the Shadow King?"

Ciaran gave the general a look to be quiet. Amaya ignored it.

"When I was learning to control my abilities, I dived into the shadows. That's where the Shadow King found me. He taught me to control those visions. He taught me many things." she informed them about her past. "We are the same. Born from Death. I am not the only one blessed by the gods."

"However, they consider him a monster and you a saint," remarked the general.

"Neither of us chose it though," Amaya said.

"Supposedly there is a way to his castle. The people are looking for him to make a deal with him," General Marcellus said.

Prince Ciaran gave him a murderous look. Silently told him to be quiet.

"I'm honestly surprised you know that, General," Amaya said.

"Just because I don't believe in gods doesn't mean I don't know anything about them," he replied.