Chapter Two

    For the next few hours, our anticipation is limitless

From jamming to Belly's early 2000's mix to Steven's RNB, there's hardly a moment of silence. I tune Belly out at some point, exhausted by her strained and incredibly ungraceful voice. Laurel and Steven do the same, but Belly doesn't stop even when her throat runs dry.

It's always like this on the way to Cousins. Belly and I gossip, Laurel and Steven argue, the music bursts our eardrums, and our heads hang out of the windows. It's a sequence of complete chaos that strings together like a familiar song. Everything about the road trip seeps with nostalgia and conversations long forgotten. These roads have seen the best of us and the utter worst yet I'd drive them again and again if it meant going to the Fisher's.

    "I want you to be better about helping out this summer," Laurel said. I look up as Belly giggles. "Like don't just leave your dishes in the sink. Load them into the dishwasher. And not just your own dish, either, Steven."

Steven grumbles, looking up from his phone. "Oh come on!" He exclaims, throwing his hands up. "Susannah has people who clean, doesn't she?" "Dude," I interrupt with a laugh. Laurel smacks Steven's arm, Belly shaking her head with a snort.

"You two need to be more like Seph. She's the only one who picks up after herself," Laurel scolds. Steven rolls his eyes. "She's not that great. Doesn't Seph have people who clean for her too?" That earns him another slap.

    "Excuse me! Keep me out of this!" I exclaim, glaring at Steven through the rear-view mirror. He scowls, rubbing his arm in pain. There's a tinge of amusement in my eyes as a smile threatens to break onto my lips.  Laurel continues her lecture, ignoring our banter.

"You can't stay out too late either. There's no curfew, but be considerate." She said. Steven whines, scrunching his nose. "And what about us?" Belly chimes. Laurel purses her lips, Steven looking back at Belly and I. "Seriously? Why would you and Seph need a curfew? You don't go anywhere!" They continue to bicker, but I sit back. I know better than to get involved in their fights.

Steven is right, though. We've had housekeepers since before I could remember. My parents both have busy jobs, so cleaning was always the least of their worries. Eventually I learned to help.