Prologue

-Stella-

There, bolted to the slab of concrete it sagged, green paint chipping away. It must have been there several decades, unnoticed by millions of people as they went about with their own lives. How many travelers sat there? What had it looked like before? What pride that bench must have felt, to be part of such a grand city, full of skyscrapers, taxis jutting about importantly, people rushing here and there, doing so many pertinent tasks each day.

And now here I was, dressed up in a sparkling white gown, with a bouquet of flowers clutched in my hand and my curly brown hair pinned to the point of flawless perfection to create an intricate design, tiny strands escaping from the sides. I had loads of make-up on when I had gotten ready early this morning, but now, I probably looked like a helpless, homeless witch. My green eyes were slightly moist; the result that you get after, to describe it gently, bawling for hours.

I sat on the old bench and it creaked as it held my weight, as if crying out in pain. That was one thing that was similar between the two of us. We were both in great pain. I carefully removed my heels, and placed them gingerly beside me and bringing my legs to my chest, wrapped both arms around them. Overlooking me was a small, abandoned garden. The swing swung back and forth along with the domineering wind and the slide was covered with raindrops. Today, the sky had decided to change it's dressing style. It was covered with dark, grey clouds of unrecognisable shapes and figures and the background was damp and dull, the after effect of the heavy raining and thunder this morning.

Why is it that the sky always seems to change according to my mood?

I opened my clenched fist and took out the pen which had been my companion for the last few hours. I had just finished writing him the letter. My letter. My reasons as to why I loved him. A letter that would, possibly, mean the end or a new beginning for our five years of togetherness...

-Flashback- -One Day Ago-

"How's this one, Adam?" I ask, stepping out of the dressing room and showing him my third wedding dress, a peach coloured gown adorned with sequins.

"You know you'll look beautiful in whatever you wear baby," he replied with a wink and despite hearing these words for a million times, my heart started beating faster involuntarily.

"Can I get the response of an unbiased critique rather than an idiot who's going to marry me in less than twenty-four hours?" I asked, trying to fight back my own smile.

"My answer remains the same." His blue eyes twinkled with amusement.

"Alright then, so should I buy this one?" I confirm one last time. The wedding was tomorrow and I didn't even have my dress ready. Pathetic, I know.

I turned away from him, examining myself in the mirror like a nervous little girl, turning left, then facing right, then spinning around. I could feel two eyes on me, staring at me with utmost curiosity.

"Why do you love me?" Adam asked out of nowhere and I froze while trying on my third wedding dress.

"What?" I asked, confused and concerned. I wasn't sure where this was coming from and also wasn't sure whether I wanted to find out.

"Why do you love me, Stella?! Why are you marrying me?" He screamed in exasperation, his eyes dead serious and his hands running through his blonde hair. My heart sank in my chest.

"What do you mean WHY?! I love you because I do! Shouldn't that be enough?" I retorted with equal anger.

"Why the hell is it that you're stuck here with me? You're perfect, you're beautiful, you're selfless! You can get any guy you want, yet here you are, marrying a nobody like me! What is it that you see in me? Why, Stella, why! Why do you love me?" He lashed out on me, and I had to admit, I was a little intimidated.