Ch. 3 - The Attic

I padded slowly, yet curiously, around the room to the left of the front door. I had awoken earlier, and Sirius had told me he'd have to go out for a small while - and that I could bite Kreacher if he annoyed me - along with the strict rule to not go upstairs or into the attic. I had nodded in understanding and then let my curiosity get the better of me.

The room was dull, bar the vine green walls with a family tree of Sirius' family - though many faces were burnt out; blackened and scorched. I tipped my little head to the side, while placing my two front paws on the wall to stand myself up on my back legs. I craned my neck, my eyes wide with interest. Sirius' face had been removed, but his name still lingered, as did the others. How old was this place? I thought to myself silently.

'Go upstairs.' A naughty voice at the back of my head demanded. It sounded so sure of itself, that I just had to obey. I was such a rebellious little kitten.

I clambered up the poorly-lit stairway, Sirius' words echoing through my head - "Do not go into the attic, Shadow. That is my only rule."

I paused, but I was already half way up the stairs... I couldn't stop now. More determined than ever, I reached the upstairs landing and gradually made my way towards a smaller set of steps. Was this the attic?

I faintly heard the door open then shut as Sirius returned from... whatever he was doing. "Shadow?" He called my name, and I whimpered quietly, knowing he'd be more than angry because I disobeyed him. I only had one choice; the attic. Maybe if he came upstairs and searched the other rooms, I'd have enough time to slip back downstairs and I wouldn't be in trouble...? Would it work?

I had to try.

My tiny paws made next to no sound on the wooden floorboards as I nudged open the attic door, slipping in like a thief in the night. My dark fur helped me blend into the darkness as I ambled towards a small circular window that was set into the wall and thick with grime and dust.

I didn't know what sound I made, but something happened that lead Sirius to find me, cowering in the attic like a spooked child. He watched me with a stone-like expression, but it softened into one that of sorrow. "I'm sorry, Shadow. It was the only way to get you in here without scaring you senseless." He murmured, placing two baby bottles of milk and a metal saucer of bread and cheese in front of me. He gave me a longing look before backing away. I was puzzled completely as I slowly padded towards him.

He stopped me just before the door, "I'm sorry." He said again, before slamming the only exit shut. It made a small CLICK as it locked, and a small wail escaped my muzzle. "Seers! Serus!" I cried, tears flowing down my furry cheeks.

* * *

An hour later - or what I thought was an hour anyway - passed and my throat was too sore to wail anymore than I already had. I sniffled, tears still trickling down from my eyes, before I heard a gentle sneeze.

It wasn't me.

I flinched, leaping to my paws and backing away into the little saucer of food. I squinted, using my inherited night vision to search the place for another soul to accompany me. Finally, I found the source of the sneeze. It was a little girl, about my age, wrapped in a blue blanket of fabric almost as soft as my fur.

Almost.

I mewed quietly, approaching the child. She had tear-stained cheeks and a red nose, as if she'd been crying. I didn't judge her - she had every right to cry. I felt an overpowering surge of protectiveness, and curled around the girl. On the blanket, was her name, sewn into the material.

Jenny.

"Jen." I squeaked, hoping she was warm and as comfy as possible. She giggled softly, rubbing her chubby cheeks along my fur, making me purr in affection.

"Jenny." A boyish voice came, making me jump and hiss at the darkness, flicking my tail in an aggressive manner. I could see a small outline of a boy in the shadows; thumb in his mouth and fiddling with the hem of his shirt. "Who er yo?" I managed to find the words and was slightly proud of myself for being able to talk - sort of.

"James." The little boy answered, crawling towards me and Jenny. "Shadow." I replied. I relaxed my posture, and welcomed him into our little group. My stomach rumbled, and I whined hungrily, looking at the bottles of milk longingly. James saw, and smiling, he grabbed one and fed me half of the bottle. I mewed my thanks.

"How l-long yo been her?" I asked, my words not entirely perfect.

"Few days." James answered. I was slightly bigger than him, as well as Jenny, who was fast asleep. James' hair was a dark colour, contradicting his pale skin and skinny frame. I nodded, then curled up beside my two new friends and let myself fall into a restless sleep.