Chapter 10 Ned's New Mission

Alarra went to find Ned and tell him what they had learned about Jaime. She was sure her brother would help Jaime with his lessons. Alarra could tell that Lyanna liked Jaime and that Jaime liked Lyanna. It wouldn't surprise Alarra if their father considered Jaime a suitor for Lyanna when they were older. Alarra could already tell that the friendship that was forming between her sister and the little Lion was going to be a strong one.

Alarra arrived as Ned and Robert finished their sparring lesson. She called out to Ned to get his attention. Ned and Robert turned toward the voice of Ned's little sister, and they both smiled. Robert couldn't help himself smile when he saw Alarra; she wasn't like any other girl he had met. She was fierce and bold; she was protective of her family and didn't put up with anyone's bullshite. And Alarra was a pretty little thing. Robert may only be nine years old, but he still notices the beauty of women, and he knows that Alarra will become a great beauty when she grows up. But for now, she was only a pretty little girl that he wanted to be friends with.

Alarra smiled at her older brother and walked towards the duo, “Ned, I saw you sparring with Robert; you did amazing!”

Ned blushed and thanked his sister. He looked into his sister's eyes and noticed that there was something on her mind. Ned knew his sister well enough to know she wanted to talk to him alone. He turned to Robert and told him to excuse him and his sister.

Robert nodded, “I need to bathe anyway for dinner tonight,” Robert said, leaving the siblings alone.

Once Robert was gone, Ned turned towards his sister, “Is there something you need to tell me, Alarra?”

“Aye, Ned, it has something to do with Jaime Lannister.”

Ned raised an eyebrow and looked around for Lyanna, “Where's Lya?”

“She's with Jaime, either sparring or they're talking. Ned, I need your help, or rather, Jaime needs your help.”

Ned furrowed his brow, “What does Jaime need?”

“What do you think of him, Ned?” Alarra asked.

“I think he will become a great swordsman, even though he's a little cocky.”

“What about his studies? How is he doing in that?”

Ned thought for a moment. He had noticed that Jaime struggled when it came to their studies. Ned saw that Jaime got frustrated quickly and would end up leaving. Ned told as much to his sister.

Alarra looked Ned in the eyes, “Doesn't that sound familiar?” She asked.

Ned's eyes widened; why hadn't he seen it before? Lyanna was the same way when she was younger, “He and Lyanna have the same problem with studying, don't they, Sister?”

Alarra smiled at her big brother for coming to the correct conclusion, “Aye, the words float off the page for him, too.”

“What can I do to help?” Ned asked.

Alarra beamed at her brother; she knew once Ned found out, he would help Jaime, “I think that if you do for Jaime what you did with Anna, Jaime will be able to understand. I healed him as best as possible, but Jaime still needs help.”

Ned looked at Alarra, alarmed, “You showed your powers to a stranger?!”

“It's alright, Ned. Jaime promised not to say anything, and I believe him.”

Ned stared at his sister for a moment, then nodded. He knew that Alarra was a good judge of character, and if she thought Jaime Lannister was trustworthy, he would go along with it, “Alright, Alarra.”

Alarra threw herself in her brother's arms, “Thank you, Ned! This means so much to Anna and me. Jaime is a nice boy who deserves any help we can give him.”

Ned returned Alarra's hug and held her as tightly as she held him. He chuckled at how excited Alarra was, “I swear by the Old Gods that I will help Jaime as long as he lets me.”

“Oh, that will not be a problem, Ned. Anna and I talked to Jaime, and he agreed to let you help him.”

“Good,” Ned commented, “Now, let us get ready for dinner. I will start helping Jaime tomorrow morning,” Ned informed his little sister.

Ned held his hand. Alarra happily took her older brother's hand; they walked back to the Keep.

As they walked, Alarra asked Ned how his training was going. Ned commented that he was getting better with his swordplay, and with Robert and Jaime training with him, he was learning different fighting styles. The two siblings continued to talk as they walked. They eventually met with Lyanna and Jaime, who were talking and laughing. Alarra smiled and pulled Ned down so she could whisper in his ear, “I think Anna likes Jaime,” Alarra told her brother.

Ned glanced at the pair and noticed that Lyanna was friendlier with Jaime than he had seen her be with any boy other than Benjen and some of the boys in Winterfell. He couldn't hear what they were saying, but Ned did notice that Lyanna would blush occasionally when Jaime would say something, as did the Little Lion. That bothered him a bit; he didn't like thinking of his little sister having a crush on someone; she was too young.

Suddenly, it occurred to Ned that perhaps his precious baby sister had a crush on someone as well. Ned thought about it and concluded that Alarra liked Robert Baratheon. He saw the way they bantered playfully with each other and that they would both smile a little wider when they saw each other.

‘Well, if my sisters have to have crushes on boys, better Robert and Jaime than someone I don't know.’ Ned thought.

This way, Ned could watch the two boys and determine if they were good enough for his little sisters. Ned knew of his father's desire for the twins to marry someone in the South to strengthen their alliances; if Ned thought that Robert and Jaime were good enough, he could inform his father, and his father could negotiate betrothals for his sisters. Ned sighed, but that was a long way off. His sisters were only children, but it never hurt to be proactive.

Alarra and Ned met up with the laughing pair, and they all headed inside the castle to prepare for dinner.