Chapter 5

that was what a best friend did:
hold up the mirror
and show you your heart
~Kristin Hannah

Chapter 5
Her POV
I finished today's practice with the entire team and yet I might as well have been alone. Peter didn't practice with us today. None of the girls said anything to me as I left and I made my walk to the car alone, in front of my teammates who chatted amongst each other.

I dialed Richard as soon as I got in the car, like I always did. She picked up immediately. "Henderson's morgue, you kill 'Em we chill 'em. How can I help you."

"Richard!" I yelled.

"Claudia!" She screamed right back.

"You are not going to believe what happened today."

"Is it about the guy?"

The guy was the only drama we lived for these days and my plot for revenge. "Yes. He's such a pompous ass! I mean you should have seen this guy, Richard. He comes in, muscles flexed, abs tightened and then just watches me dance. And so of course, I see him and I have to give him a piece of my mind."

She sighed. "Must you really give him a piece of your mind?"

"Yes. Yes I must. He has to suffer for taking away my only chance of civility with the team." How could I not? And just let him walk off without knowing the severity of his sins?

"Alright, fair enough. Keep going."

"Right, so you know, I get up all in his face and I make it known to him of how much of a pompous ass he is, and you know what he does?" Despite her not being able to see me, I gesture through the story to give the full effect.

"What?" She mumbled with her mouth full.

I could hear her crunches in the background as I speak. "He apologizes." I hit my dashboard for emphasis.

Richard gasped. "How dare he!"

"I know right! And so I'm livid because how dare he try to apologize for his wrongdoings. So I cut him off, and I stand my ground and I remind him of all the terrible things he's done this week." Emma had sent me a few text to keep me updated on his life. How she found him without knowing a name I will never know, but she is a master stalker on Instagram and got me all the information I needed. She's still sick and hasn't been in for practice so our only form of communication has been through text. "And his whole face turns tomato red and he is pissed and it is beautiful."

"You cruel, cruel woman."

I held my chin up high in a proud stance. "I know, I know. I'm just that smart." I adjusted my lucky charm that hung from the mirror. "But you know, he kept staring at me as I left, so he couldn't have been too mad. It's almost as if he likes being degraded."

"Kinky." I could feel her childish grin from all the way across the phone.

I grimaced. "Oh gods. Don't put that thought into my head."

"What? You don't want to imagine what the handsome frat boy would be like in bed."

"No." That was the last thing I wanted to think of. "I hate him."

"There's a fine line between love and hate, babe."

"Not here. This is a very clear line. I hate him, despise him. And he despises me."

Richard laughed. "I don't think he hates you."

Of course he did. Perhaps I did not explain the rage in his eyes clearly enough. "What do you mean?"

She took another bite of her raw ramen—yes raw, because Richard is such a bad cook she's resorted to eating dry ramen straight out of the pack. "Well, right now, it kinda sounds like he wants to jump your bones."

My lip curled as I started my car. "'Jump my bones'? Richard, are you forty? Who says that anymore?"

He couldn't possibly want me like that. I saw the way he looked at me, there was nothing but hatred in his face. He watched me dance with judgmental eyes, probably criticizing my every move. I'd seen that look enough from my mother to know it well. As if he could do any better. I am the best dancer this school has known in years. He does not get to judge me. He doesn't get to walk around thinking just because he is tall and attractive and strong he gets to ruin my life. There is no possible way he is interested in me. Though what I have done to anger him so much that he would treat me this way, I do not know.

"You know, I can just picture you talking to this giant of a man, standing on your tip toes trying to look scary. Like a little chihuahua barking at a pitbull."

My jaw fell open. Rude. "I am not a chihuahua! It's not my fault I wasn't gifted with the gene of height. Your boyfriend stole that from me in the womb, okay? Blame him." How my brother had landed someone so cool, I had no idea. Richard could do better.

She snickered. "I don't think that's how it works."

"Look at least I can walk in heels. You can barely walk in sneakers." I had seen her trip on air before.

"I tripped on air the one time! And it wasn't even air, it was wind."

"You face planted into dog poo."

She grumbled, stuffing her face with ramen. "It was strong wind."

Before I could reply I heard yelling from her end of the phone, a chaotic colossal of voices, one that I was very familiar with. "Hey, I have to go, my brother just got home." She laughed.

Richard had the kind of relationship with her brothers that I wish I'd had with mine. They were her everything, her ride or die. "Good luck."

I waited for her to hang up. I never hung up first. She yelled at her brothers some more before squeezing in one last sentence. "Hey, I love you."

"I love you." There was no 'too'. Because I did not love her as well. I loved her regardless of her love for me. I always would. Even if she hates me, I will always love her. She is my soulmate after all.

A/N
Hi lovies!!
I promise the story will pick up soon and get a little more interesting.

Thank you to @ sunflxwergxld for commenting on ever chapter and showing so much love to these book. I truly appreciate it. Your comments are what give me the motivation to keep posting so thank you <3

I love reading everyone comments they are what make writing worthwhile!

QOTD: favorite meal of the day: breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks?

Lots of love,
Rachelle <3