Chapter 15

Chapter 15 

    Shelly and I sat in chairs on the opposite sides of the hallway while we waited for the principal to call us into his office. She was still holding a large handful of tissue over her nose, pinching it, while the school nurse continued to give her instructions on how to stop the bleeding.

    I didn't feel a bit sorry, even when Shelly kept glaring at me. I knew she was trying to intimidate me, but I folded my arms and stared back. After warning the two of us to behave, the nurse finally left.

    "Nice punch," Shelly sneered, her voice sounding muffled by all the tissue. "The nurse thinks you broke my nose."

    "Good," I said, suddenly feeling very satisfied.

    "I can't believe you hit me because of some stupid boy," she whined.

    "I thought I already explained how I feel about Vance."

    "Whatever," she said. "He's not into you the way you think he is."

    "Is that so?" I wondered what could possibly be running through her head.

    "He's been following me around for weeks now." Shelly lowered the tissues so she could glare at me better. "Everywhere I go, every time I turn around, there he is, watching me."

    "Duh," I said flatly, looking at the raccoon bruises, which were already forming under her eyes. "That's because we've been worried about you."

    "Well, you should worry. I've never felt sparks like that flying off a guy. He was like butter and honey all rolled together, soft and delicious. I'm definitely going to need another taste." She licked her lips for added emphasis.

    I was instantly on my feet, ready to pound on her again, when the door to the principal's office swung open.

    "Miss Mullins!" he called out loudly, stopping me in my tracks. "Please step inside."

    I gave Shelly one last glare, clenching my fists at my sides, before I turned and headed into the room.

    Mr. Holland closed the door behind me, motioning for me to have a seat in front of his desk, and he walked around to the other side to seat himself.

    "Miss Mullins, I have to say I'm surprised and frankly disappointed also," he began, folding his hands together.

    I did my best to hold my peace and listen to what he had to say.

    "You've always been a model student here, and the teachers have good things to say about you too." He paused expectantly, as if waiting for me to say something. When I didn't, he gave a big sigh and continued. "As you know, we have a strict no fighting policy here at Sedona High School."

    I nodded.

    "I understand from several eyewitnesses you may have felt somewhat provoked in this incident."

    I gave him a half shrug.

    "Do you care to elaborate?"

    "Nope," I replied, wishing he would hurry and get on with the punishment.

    "Well, under the circumstances—since you threw the only punch and caused significant bodily harm to Miss Fontane—I'm going to have to suspend you for three days. I also need to advise you, pending a visit with Miss Fontane and her parents, a legal complaint may be filed against you."

    "I understand." I wondered how bad this whole thing might actually get.

    "In that case, you need to get your things and wait in my secretary's office. I'll be calling your parents to come get you."