Don't be scared. (14)

Y/N POV:

I finished up the fast food I ate in my car for lunch before work. I began driving back to work, worry fills my head. Memories of those gross boys flood my mind, I doubt they would try anything after what Tom did but fear still lingered inside me. I felt a shiver go down my spine, pulling into the car park.

I take a deep breath before getting out of the car, everything will be fine. I grab my bag and walk inside, spotting Jemma helping a customer at the counter. After she finishes up, I go check up on how she's doing.

"Hey Jemma, how's your first shift?"
I ask her, she smiles.

"Pretty good, helped a lot of customers before you got here. But I have a question, is it really only you and Valerie working here?"
She asked me,

"Well, there's another girl but she's on holiday currently. She'll be back soon, we used to have more workers but in the past few months we've fallen short, we're a fairly new store. It'll be okay though, now that we have a third worker that's not in Hawaii somewhere."
I tell her, keeping an eye around my surroundings.

"Cool. Your name is... Y/N right?"
She said, I nod. Another customer worked in and Jemma went to go help her, I waited peacefully at the counter. Relief filled me, now that I don't have to do all the work here when Valerie isn't around.

🫶🏻🫶🏻🫶🏻

I tiredly watched the clock after helping a few cranky, old customers. Only 7:30pm, ugh. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, I pull it out.

Tom: Hey, I miss you

I smile at the text, making my shift a little bit more bearable.

Y/N: i'm at work right now, I seriously can't be bothered
Tom: Everything okay? Believe me, i'm not scared to knock a guy out

I giggle at the message, but it also comforts me at the same time.

Y/N: It's okay, everything's fine so far. I might come see you later, if that's okay?

I get off the app after sending the bold text, he says these things all the time but it's still new to me. I felt my phone buzz as he responded almost immediately.

Tom: Of course my schatz, come by any time.

I smirk at the new german nickname, even if I didn't know what it meant, I knew it was probably something romantic.

Y/N: it's a maybe, gotta go now. Bye!

I reply back, putting my phone away as a customer walks to the counter with Jemma, paying for her new items of clothing.

🫶🏻🫶🏻🫶🏻

8:30PM, time seems to be going slower and slower, I groan in annoyance. I glance at Jemma, still having her cheerful attitude. She's new, she wouldn't mind if I clocked off early, right? How would Valerie know?

"Jemma, I feel uh, sick. I'm gonna leave a little early, is that alright?"
I pretend to hold my stomach in pain, she has a genuine look of concern and I feel a little bad.

"Oh, of course Y/N! Are you alright?"
She asked me, walking me to the front of the store with my bag.

"I'll be okay, thanks Jem."
I say to her before walking off with a quiet snicker. It was a little mean taking advantage of her, but she'll be fine.