Chapter nineteen

Three days have passed since Amaya, Mathias and Drea escaped from Hiraeth. No one was chasing them, so they were in no hurry. It was suspicious. They had long expected soldiers to come after them, they made sure to cover their tracks, but no one came after them. Drea didn't understand, but Mathias and Amaya kept wondering why. They couldn't believe that Prince Ciaran had just let them go. They couldn't believe that the royal guards had let them go. They sensed some kind of trap and were alert.

They were heading to the place from where they were supposed to contact Prince Tristan. They still had a long way to go. A few days if they hurry. Even a week if they try to be inconspicuous.

They decided to stay for the night in a small inn they found on the edge of the forest. They no longer wanted to sleep on the ground by the fire. They didn't want to keep watch at night to make sure they weren't found or attacked by a bad wolf. They needed to sleep.

"Two rooms, please," Mathias said to the owners.

"I don't know you yet. Do you come from far away?" asked the innkeeper.

You could already see from the look that she is the type of woman who needs to know about everything in the wide and near surroundings. And if she comes across strangers like them, she suspiciously picks up everything that might be useful to her.

"I'm Mathias." he introduced himself. "This is my wife," he pointed at Amaya. Hesitantly, she pulled down the hood that hid her face. Her long sleeves covered her marks, there was no way to recognize her, but she still hesitated to reveal herself. "And this is her sister." he also introduced Drea to them, who was looking at everything they passed with interest. All her life she was closed in a cage and now that she was free the surrounding world fascinated her.

"We are running away from the war on the borders. We are heading east to meet our friends." Mathias said.

"Has the war gone that far already?" asked the innkeeper's man.

"War destroys everything in its path," replied Mathias. "On both sides."

"I wish it was over," said the innkeeper's man.

"I wish as well," said Mathias. "This war does not benefit either kingdom. Only losses."

"They haven't progressed anywhere for years. Neither side." said the innkeeper's man. "Both sides are losing in this war."

"And how long will you be staying?" the innkeeper interrupted their conversation.

"Just one night," Mathias replied. We are leaving again in the morning. We still have a long way to go."

"I expect that there will be no problems with you and that the rooms will be cleaned in the morning. I won't tolerate anything broken," said the innkeeper, handing them the keys.

"Of course ma'am," Mathias said and they went to their rooms.

Drea shut herself in her room and Mathias with Amaya shared one bed in the other room. It was a deep night but Amaya couldn't sleep. Her sleeplessness also kept Mathias awake.

"Sleep, Amaya," he told her.

"I can't stop thinking about why there aren't any soldiers chasing us," Amaya said. "Ciaran doesn't strike me as someone who gives up that easily."

"Looks like the prince got under your skin," Mathias said.

"Never," argued Amaya.

"You think about him all the time," Mathias countered. "You care about him."

Amaya sat up sharply. "Never," she objected to his claim. "I just don't understand him."

"Admit it, Amaya. You didn't dig into his head like in everyone else's you've ever met because you don't trust anyone. You can guess people at first glance, but he is a puzzle to you that you can't solve, and that fascinates you. I also noticed how you look at him, even if you don't admit it." he gave her a daring look. "Admit you like him."