Part 1

"You know, it'll be fun there! I loved living in the Timberlands." Lance sighed as her mother said the same phrase she had spoken what must have been a hundred times since they started the trip. No matter what she told her mother, she was convinced that Lance did not want to go to the small, small town that Lance's mom had grown up in. Even if it was a little bit true.

Thinking to herself somewhat guiltily, Lance thought back to what she had said to her mom right after finding out about the trip they were going on at the beginning of summer.

»--•--«

It was the end of the school year, right after she had taken her midterms. She had just finished her last day of testing, which she was fairly certain she had done well on, but she didn't really care. The only thing that would get her the Iliad Tech. internship was the essay and the scientific experiment she had spent months working on. Disregarding her regular schoolwork, she had worked for hours researching 3d printed nerve systems, a subject she found somewhat interesting, if not attention-grabbing. 

When she checked the mailbox after walking back to her house, a mere 4 blocks from school, she saw it. Racing upstairs to her room, she tore open the letter and skimmed to the bottom of the page. Grinning, she sprinted back down the steps, all the while calling to her mother. Laughing, she said "mom, mom, I got in! I really got-" she stopped when she smacked into her mother. Both rubbing any bruises earned by the interaction, they laughed together, Lance's giggling and her mother's eyes crinkling at the corners.

With her previous giddiness, Lance was rushing to detail what the letter had said to her mother, explaining that she was one of 2 students out of many who had been accepted into the high school internship programs. She was about to hug her when she noticed her mothers face falling, slowly morphing into something like sadness... or pity.

A sinking feeling in her stomach told her that she would not be going to any tech company, internship or otherwise. With what might be called a calm voice, Lance asked her mother "what happened." Hugging her daughter, Mrs. Amini said "I'm so sorry honey." Gently pushing her mother away, she again asked "Why?". "If I would have kn-" "No Mom, why can't I go to this company, this internship, that I've been working towards for months!" Sighing, her mom rubbed her face, and then said "We're going to the Timberlands next week"

Shocked by her answer, Lance came to a complete standstill. "Why? Why now? You said you didn't want to go back! I've been asking you to go my entire life, and you choose now as the best time?"

With resignation, her mother said, "the thing, the person, keeping me away is gone now." Noting the glint of sadness in her mom's eyes, she softened, and somewhat resentfully said "okay" After all, her mother never quit anything if it was within her power, especially plans. Sadly, she bid goodbye to the scholarship letter and went upstairs to pack.

»--•--«

Looking back down at her phone, she messaged her friend, Samy, goodbye. They hadn't been great friends, but they liked the same things, and Samy had at least made an effort to keep the friendship alive. being a sophmore, she was two years younger than the senior, so it wasn't exactly like they were going to keep their tenuous friendship while Sam was away at college.

She checked her messages one last time, and then closed her phone.

Looking back up at her mom, she said "Yeah, this trip will be pretty won't it?"