Chapter 12

"Let's try again," Mr. Montgomery's voice says into my headset, and I grip the steering wheel harder at this. I rev the engine as I slow to a stop at the starting line.

The heat was unbearable as I sat in my car. No air conditioning though. Just great.

I glance out my right window, seeing Aaron sitting in the bleachers, his eyes glued to my car. He smiles when he sees me, and gives a little wave. I wave back, smiling at him.

I hear Mr. Montgomery count to three in my headset, and I take a deep breath before he reaches three. I glance to my left, and see Ashton standing there, his arms crossed over his chest as he watches me. I look away quickly, turning my attention back to the race track.

That's when Mr. Montgomery gets to three. My foot presses into the gas pedal hard. The tires screech a little as smoke clouds fill my rear view mirror. I smile as the car takes off down the track.

I can see the turn coming up, but I don't slow down. I keep my foot on the gas, possibly even harder. The turn comes up fast, and I have a sly smirk on my face. I jerk the steering wheel to the left, and the car jerks violently with it.

The car moves smoothly along the black pavement, and I am able to straighten it out once the turn is complete.

I smile to myself as I make my way to the pit stop. I smooth easily into the parking spot, parking the car and stepping out. I pull the headset off as I turn to face Mr. Montgomery as he walked over. I give him a smile, but he doesn't return it.

"What the heck as that?" Mr. Montgomery practically shouts. My smile disappears and I open my mouth to respond. But I don't have time to say anything.

Aaron rushes over, a smile on his face. I turn to look at him, and smile. He wraps his arms around me and kisses me on the lips. I smile into it, loving the feeling of having him near me.

"You did amazing," he says, pulling away. I turn and look at Ashton, who watches Aaron with a wary eye. Aaron wraps his arm around me protectively.

I turn back to Mr. Montgomery, and my happy feeling dies when I see how ticked he is.

"I made the turn okay," I say to him, hoping to lighten his mood. He rubs his temples, trying to calm down. I look down at the ground.

"It's not the turn I'm worried about, Luna," he says harshly, and I cringe at the way he says my name. This has caught Ashton's attention, and he stops what he's doing to watch. Aaron's grip around me tightens, and when I look up at him, I can see his jaw tense.

"You drive like a street racer," he says harshly.

I get defensive all of the sudden, pulling myself free of Aaron.

"You say that like it's a bad thing," I counter back at him.

"It is!" he practically shouts. I jump a little, my eyes wide in fear. Aaron watches closely, still behind me. My jaw tenses suddenly, and my hands are balled into fists at my sides.

"Dad," Ashton says, walking up to his father.

"I don't need your help," I say angrily to Ashton, who looks at me with wide eyes. I grab my jacket from the car. I shoot a glare at Ashton, who glares back at me.

I grab the keys to my Celica out of my pocket, and push past Aaron, stomping out of the pit stop and up the stands. Aaron watches for a few seconds, glares at Mr. Montgomery and his son, and then races to catch up to me.

"Luna, wait!" he calls after me, but I don't stop.

I push the keys into the key hole on the door, unlocking my car and pulling the door open. I slide into my front seat, as Aaron runs to stop me. I lean over and grab the door. But when it's almost closed, Aaron's hand stops it.

I turn my evil stare up to him, but he doesn't get the hint. He just tries to catch his breath.

"Let me go," I say sternly, trying to tug the door away from him. But he's strong, stronger than me.

"Luna," he starts to say. But I don't want to hear it. I turn my violent stare up at him again.

"Let me go," I repeat, "I'm done for the day."

There was an awkward moment of us just glaring at each other. His blue eyes search mine, for something that probably wasn't there.

"Fine," he mumbles, letting go of the door and backing up. I slam the door shut, turning my attention to the road. I buckle my seat belt, and slam my foot on the gas.

The last thing I see is Aaron disappearing in the rear view mirror