Nothing But You And I, Keith Harkin. (Chapter One)

“Carolina, babe, you’ll hurt yourself if you keep swinging that doll around.”

Right as I said that, she dropped it onto the floor of the diner we were currently sitting in. I was in the booth and she was in a highchair at the end of the table.

I sighed, “or, you’ll throw it onto the ground.” I was about to lean down when a thick irish accent spoke up, “Let me get that for you.”

I watched as a blonde-haired man leaned down and picked up my ‘nieces’ doll. She’s actually my daughter but right now she’s with my sister and brother-in-law considering I’m not doing too well financially. I live by myself in a 2 story, 4 bedroom apartment. My parents abandoned me at age 16, when I was pregnant with poor Carolina. I know, young age to have a kid, but I was raped; left in an alley, slipping in and out of consciousness. A boy had found me. Chase Marin, to be exact. He was with me through it all. The pregnancy, moving into an apartment, giving birth to my daughter. All of it.

I snapped out of my thoughts when the blonde lad stood back up. He handed the doll back to my daughter.

“There you go, princess.” She giggled and took her doll back. I spoke up, “What do you say to the nice man, boo?”

She looked up at him, “Dank you!” He laughed, “You’re very welcome.”

He finally turned to me and my heart stopped. His intoxicating green eyes left me breathless.

I mentally slapped myself, “Thank you.” He smiled, “It’s no problem. What’s your name?”

I blushed and stuck my hand out, “Sam, and you’re Keith.” He laughed and shook my hand, sending a shock of electricity up my arm. Weird.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you, Sam. Mind if I sit with you?” I bit my lip, “Not at all!”

He smiled bigger and slid into the booth, sitting across from me. I placed my hands around my coffee mug and looked at Keith. He was wearing a white V-neck with sunglasses hanging from the collar, dark blue skinny jeans, a blue Philly’s hat, and some boots.

Once again, my thoughts were interrupted. “And what’s your name, princess?” My daughter looked at him, “Princess!”

Keith smiled and looked at me. I laughed and said, “Her name is Carolina.” I reached over to her, tucking some of her hair behind her ear.

“Carolina? That’s beautiful.” I smiled, gripping my mug again. He continued, “Is she your daughter?” I gulped and shook my head, “She’s my niece.”

I looked up at Keith and I could tell he could see right through me. He nodded slightly, “She looks just like you, aside from the hair color.”

I looked down, staring at the tattoo on my arm. Keith spoke up again, “What’s your tattoo say?” I shifted in my seat, uncomfortably. I could feel the tears about to come out, “I remembered everything, and every window pane.”

I looked down at the table, embarrassed for talking with a shaky voice. Keith got up and slid in next to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

While he talked, he rubbed my tattoo slowly, “Everything is going to okay, I promise.”

And, that’s when I broke down.  

(Picture of Sam in external link, picture of Carolina on the side -> )