Chapter 5

Wendigo 

"Look, Rangers, I don't know why you're asking me about this." The older man turned and walked back through his dark apartment, the three of us following. "It was public record, I was a kid." he continued as Dean shut the door. "My parents got mauled by a--"

"Grizzly?" Sam filled in. "That's what attacked them?"

I felt Dean's hand on my waist as we walked through the room. We came to a stop as Mr. Shaw turned, nodding his head hesitantly. 

"The other people that went missing that year, those bear attacks too?" Dean asked. "What about all the people who went missing this year? Same thing? If we knew what we were dealing with, we might be able to stop it."

"I seriously doubt that." Mr. Shaw tells him.

"You know, I've had a lot of people doubt me, Mr. Shaw. But I proved 'em wrong..." I was going to be truthful and add a sometimes, but that probably wouldn't convince him to trust us. 

"Anyways, I don't see what difference it would make." Mr. Shaw sat down. "You wouldn't believe me. Nobody ever did."

Sam stepped forward. "Mr. Shaw," he began, sitting down on the other chair, "what did you see?"

Mr. Shaw hesitated, looking between us. "Nothing."

"You can tell us, Mr. Shaw." I reassure him, smiling a little. I felt eyes on me, Dean's eyes. 

"It moved to fast to see." Mr. Shaw continued. "It hid to well. I hear it though. A roar. Like no man or animal I ever heard."

"It came at night." Sam says. Mr. Shaw nodded his head. "Got inside your tent."

"It got inside our cabin." Mr. Shaw corrected. "I was sleeping in front of the fireplace when it came in. It didn't smash a window or break the door." he looked up at us. "It unlocked it. You know of a bear that could do something like that? I didn't even wake up till I heard my parents screaming."

"It killed them." 

"Dragged 'em off into the night. Why it left me alive, been asking myself that ever since." Mr., Shaw shook his head.

I knew that feeling. When you lived through something that felt like you shouldn't have. "I'm so sorry." I whispered. 

"Did leave me this though." Mr. Shaw pulled the neckline of his shirt over to reveal three long claw like scars going from his shoulder to his chest. "There's something evil in those woods. It was some sort of a demon."

___

"Spirits and demons don't need to unlock doors, if they want inside, they can just go through the walls." Dean stated as we walked down the dimly lit hall. His hand was still on my waist, distracting me a little.

"It's probably something else, something corporeal." Sam replied. 

"'Corporeal.'" Dean repeated. "'Suse me, professor." 

I laugh a little. "Well, don't you have a wonderful vocabulary, Sam?"

"Shut up." Sam tells us both. "So what do you think?"

"The claws, the speed that it moves, could be a Skinwalker. Maybe a Black Dog." Dean suggested. "Whatever we're talking about, we're talking about a creature. And it's corporeal. Which means we can kill it."

___

Dean unlocked the trunk of the car, pulling it open. He lifted the hideaway lid, glancing over his shoulder before using a shotgun to prop the arsenal open. He started shoving things into the duffle bag, packing anything that could help us kill whatever this monster was.