Prologue

Queen Halcyon had stepped out onto her royal tree-houses balcony for a second to collect her thoughts. It was just under the top of all the trees, whos leaves leaves made the sun beams that were shining through seem golden. The balcony itself was showered in warm sunlight. It was a warm early spring afternoon. Queen Halcyon turned a golden red. She was on the skinner side, and her eyes were covered in black rings of stress and tiredness. She was tall for a Rainwing and had scales that looked more Sandwing, spawning rumors that she was a hybrid. She had her left side frills ripped off a long time ago, making her head look constantly tilted.

The forest looked extremely green because all the young leaves were sprouting. That was a reliving sight for every Rainwing, and even more for Queen Halcyon. Her kingdom had suffered an incredibly harsh winter. Most of the fruits they would scavenge died in the first frost, crippling their food supplies. Sadly most kingdoms rejected their calls for help because they were also having harsh winters. The only kingdom that helped them was the Sandwings, who have little as it is sent cactus juice and meat. For that Queen Halcyon owes them her life.

The cold itself was another issue. Rainwings are not a tribe equipped for the cold be it biologically or in infrastructure. Queen Halcyon's husband died to infection and she almost lost her oldest son to hyperthermia, he is still recovering. No dragon knows the exact death toll, but Halcyon has heard estimates around 750 dragons. She is planning to have a meeting with her advisors to see how she can help those poor families that lost someone. *But with resources spread thin already...* She thought to herself. She tried to shake the thought from her head. *We will help them. Ok? We will give them what we can.*

She then looked at the forest again and noticed that the evidence of the awful winter was still everywhere. The floors of the forest were carpeted in ugly dead gray-brown plant matter and probably some animal carcasses mixed in there. They were all moist and squishy, and worst of all they smelled. *Note to self: get a group of dragons together to clean it up in the main town.* Queen Halcyon rubbed her forehead. "It is times like these I wish it was my sister that became queen." She said to the trees. While it was unlikely anyone was listening it would be bad and embarrassing if anyone heard that.

Halcyon then heard the distant sound of her kids fighting. She had two sons and three daughters. She loved them all more than than anything, she secretly promised herself that they are worth more than the kingdom and she would abdicate peacefully when one of her daughters challenged her. She rolled her eyes as they continued to argue. She knew it was probably over something very petty and meaningless. Since she grew up with a sister she knew it was probably better to let them fight it out, it is also funnier for her. *I wonder when one of them will challenge me. They are getting to that age.* She thought to herself with a frown. She did not want one of her daughters to take over right now though. With how stressed the kingdom is at this time, it might kill them. *Hell, it might kill me.*

She then heard a flock of birds fly in and sing their songs for her. She leaned back and put her face in the sun with her eyes closed. She went to a very white yellow to match the rays. She felt her eyes water up. The birdsong was just what she needed to hear. It may have just been part of spring comming in, but to her it was a sign that they could recover. It was harsh on every dragon, but the new season is here.

Halcyon had tried to remain strong and confidant, at least on the outside. Not only to try to hold her kingdom together, but after the death of her husband she had to hold her family together too. And she was proud of ever single Rainwing for being stronger then her. They had all helped their neighbors, friends, and enemies. *For that I am eternally grateful.* She thanks the universe, she is planning a speech for it.

Suddenly there is a yelp of pain from one of her kids. Halcyon sighs and rolls her eyes as she turns to leave but then feels a lot of pressure and a sharp pain on her sternum. She falls to the ground and screams out for her husband before passing out.

Queen Halcyon was lying dead in a pool of her own blood on the patio to her royal treehouse, just in front of the door. A crossbow bolt protruding out in her sternum. Then her son ran out. "Mom?! Where are you?! Bangle bit Warbler!" He than sees the body and screams in horror, tears already streaming from his eyes and his scales turning stark white. "MOM! MOM! MOOOMMMM!!!" He runs over and hugs her, not minding the blood splashing onto him. "Come on, breathe, I love you. Come back! COME BACK! PLEASEE! MOM!" He sobs into her body, rocking up and down. His cries chase off the birds. Her blood now mixing with his tears. "I love you... mom. Please come back... we love you. Please..." He says weakly, his voice falling him. "Who? Why? I will kill them! I WILL KILL THEM! I hate them! I HATE THEM!" He then cried out again, his cry holding so much pain and anger. before muttering one last time. "I love you mom..."